more engine build questions

-

74dusterman

74dusterman
Reaction score
I am in the process of gathering parts for my 340 to put it back together again. It dropped a valve shortly after the breakin because of a stupid mistake on my part. Since it has minimal run time on it would it be ok to use the piston rings again? I am planning on honing the cylinders. The bearings all look new so I would think it would be ok to use them again. If I am installing a new cam should I install new cam bearings or just run the ones in it already? The valve head broke off and stuck into the top of the piston so it didn't do any damage to the cylinder. I am getting different pistons and rods and heads. I know I will have to clean the block and all of the passages very good. The motor only had 2 hours of run time when it **** the bed. Any comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dam! that kinda tramma i would trust nothen man! decent rings are under $100! If cam bearing look good id runem just clean the hell out of the block. If your re-honig theres your awnser=new rings!

Many people will say that it is "cheep insurance" to replace rings, bearings. If, if, if there was no damage to the block, I myself might be very tempted to reuse the rings, just put them back into the hole they came out of, no need to hone/re-hone the cylinder, just make sure it's clean with a very light film of oil. As for bearings, how are the clearances? What do they look like? Do they have any funny wear patterns? If not go for it.

In the end it's your own peace of mind you need to satisfy.

I've done stuff like this and it work out just fine.

Knowledge, is cheep insurance.

Good luck!!

Check the damaged piston rod journal on the crank closely. If your installing new rods I would replace the rod bearings. Before you remove the old cam check and see if it spins freely. If so, Install new cam and make sure it spins freely.

I got lucky if you could call it that. The valve dropped straight down and stuck in the piston so it hammered the hell out of the head but didn't touch the cylinder wall. The rod has a slight bend so I am getting different pistons and rods. I suppose I wouldn't have to hone the cylinders since there is minimal run time on it. The main bearings look like new and the rod beasrings have a small polished spot about the size of a dime in the middle on the connecting rod side but not the cap side. I guess just for piece of mind I should get new rod bearings.

-
Back