More fun for Santa Barbara

-

Unconventional

Reaction score
12:29 PDT .. Magnitude 5.3 earthquake 40 mi. south of Santa Barbara. I must have been traveling, I didn't feel it. My phone got kinda wonky about that time, I think the phone felt it. No alerts here. No reports of catastrophic damage yet.

I was at work located right on the Los Angeles/Orange County line and felt the quake as a gentle rolling motion. One of my co-workers was on the phone and kept going with her conversation as she looked over at me with a funny look on her face.
As soon as she finished her conversation she asked me if we'd had an earthquake. She thought she was just getting dizzy.
The quake was centered 10 miles deep 17 miles from Santa Cruz island. The only reported damage so far are some bricks that fell from the chimney of an 1860s ranch house on the island.

Not a good week for the Channel Islands. I recall Santa Cruz having a brush fire in the last few days. Controlled burn that got out of hand.

I guess the next logical progression then is for the Navy to get it confused with San Clemente Island and start using it for target practice.

SoCal has been busy earthquake wise lately. 10 of M 1.6 or greater in the last 8 days. One of these days I need to make a day trip to Parkfield to check out the USGS monitoring station for the San Andreas Fault. And a 2.5 that wasn't on the above list in Santa Ynez just a little while ago. About 5PM local.

Last edited:
Felt it in Lompoc, pretty good roller, not much more.

Alan

-
Back