More HP for my 318 small block

-
Reaction score
Hey I was wondering what are some good ideas for boosting the Horsepower on my small block 318. stock it has about 150, but i want to be around 300. I
f you have any ideas let me know. Thanks.

The five basics:
Dual exhaust - Off the manifolds is fine. Get cleanly bent, 2 1/2" pipe, good perforamnce mufflers.
Performance ignition curve - A simple taiming tape, a lightweight spring, and either a MiG welder or $20 and a muffler shop is enough to get that right.
Performance cam (mild) and matching springs - Summit brand is nice product, and Comp 901-16 springs.
Dual plane 4bbl intake - any stocker, or the Performer 318/360.
4bbl carb - Any brand, so long as it's either under 650cfm dry flowed (Edelbrock, oldschool Holleys, Carters) or 550 wet (Modern Holleys like the street avenger, Demons, custom shop carbs).

It's not hard at all.

I have a 318 with a comp cams XE268H cam, Edelbrock RPM air gap manifold, Just put on Edelbrock Performer 800 cfm yesterday (was Eddy 600 cfm), Hooker Competition headers, 2 1/2" exhaust, 904 stock with 2800 stall. I figure I am right at or maybe a little over 300 HP. If I had it to do over again and stayed with a 318, I would do something about the heads and get higher compression. It's not as fast as I would like right now. That's why there is a 408 stroker on the engine stand in my garage.

By the way, I was a little leery of going to 800 cfm on a 318, but holy **** did it wake that motor up! 600 cfm must have been not enough and was holding it back.

Thanks for the tips guys, all were helpfull. there's a lot i want to do with this motor, i like 318's a lot. Im actually about to buy another 318 motor from a friend for $100 bucks. I plan to build that one for a racing motor, preferably dual quad intake with holley 770s. I dont know about cams though, comp or vodoo? I also want to get roller rockers with 340 or 360 valve springs. The list goes on..

I have a 318 with a comp cams XE268H cam, Edelbrock RPM air gap manifold, Just put on Edelbrock Performer 800 cfm yesterday (was Eddy 600 cfm), Hooker Competition headers, 2 1/2" exhaust, 904 stock with 2800 stall. I figure I am right at or maybe a little over 300 HP. If I had it to do over again and stayed with a 318, I would do something about the heads and get higher compression. It's not as fast as I would like right now. That's why there is a 408 stroker on the engine stand in my garage.

By the way, I was a little leery of going to 800 cfm on a 318, but holy **** did it wake that motor up! 600 cfm must have been not enough and was holding it back.

I had the same results years ago with carberators . Had a 650 cfm AVS then a 750 holley , but the 318 really woke up with a TQ 850 off a 440 . With shaved heads mild porting a 340 cam , headers and holley street dominator intake it ran great . ran best with 850 TQ .
318 are really good , with a little effort they go great , mine kept up with big blocks .

Good bang for your buck would be a set of headers. Easy bolt on, most power to dollar ratio.

What are your budget constraints? The 318 responds to the same type high performance mods as any other engine. A good, high rise intake and small four barrel carburetor. A nice, free flowing set of headers. A GOOD set is not cheap for our cars. Mopars have a superior torsion bar suspension and it takes some extra twisting to get good ground clearance. Hedman makes a nice shorty header that fits nicely for about 250. A good matched camshaft of around 220-230 degrees duration at .050" lift and as much lift as you can find. I recommend the Mopar Performance ignition conversion. It already has a good hot timing curve. Just wire it up and go. You can easily make 300 plus HP from an otherwise stock 318 with some bolt on upgrades.

-
Back