More Hp from a RHS 360

-

Ori

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 360 that I want to squeeze some more power from. I dont want to add nitrous or stroker kit,ect, just keep it how it is. My build so far is:

- Magnum 360, 9.5 compression
- RHS heads with 2.02/1.65 stainless valves
- 750HP DP, crosswind air gap intake
- Cam- 227/228-0.512/0.525-114
- 3500 stall,3.91 gears

What would you upgrade on this more to be more potent?
Ported heads? upgrade cam?

Heres a link to a cam that hughes recommend: http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?browse=category&level0=U21hbGwgQmxvY2sgTWFnbnVtICgzLjkvNS4yLzUuOSk=&level1=Q2Ftc2hhZnQ=&level2=Um9sbGVyLCBIeWRyYXVsaWM=&level3=Q2FyYnVyZXRlZCBvciBTQ1QgVHVuZWQ=&partid=26471

Thanks! :prayer:

what are you trying to do?

street car?

street strip?

Its going to be a street strip car. I mostly just drive it on the weekends, but mostly take it to the strip.

gears..converter and tires...to hook up...

also look at your rear suspension ...shocks...Cal-Tracs...lite weight wheels...it all adds up...

also remove weight from the car...

all the power in the world wont do you any good unless you can get it down the track...

More carb and better intake along with the already mentioned mods.

Heres the flow on the heads:

Intake Exhaust
80.7 @ .100 75.6 @ .100
134.5 @ .200 135.4 @ .200
189.8 @ .300 174.8 @ .300
235.6 @ .400 193.7 @ .400
250.5 @ .450 196.8 @ .450
263.1 @ .500 198.4 @ .500
266.7 @ .550 198.4 @ .550
267.9 @ .600 196.8 @ .600

The heads flow well, I would not spend the money there. A 750 is more than enough carb for a 360. The intake is on the right track, but and Eddy AG would be better.

If you really want to make power, upgrade to a solid roller cam and shave the heads to get 10 to 1 or more. This is the cam I would use in your 360. https://www.lunatipower.com/CamSpecCard.aspx?partNumber=60432

I would bet you would be close to 500hp.

Jeeez, the head does flow well, I'm thinking it had a lot less in it and to port it where ya got it now.

Nice cam recommendation MRL.

LOL, I know what you mean. Well, everybody is/gets stuck on "It's a NEW head" while ignoring the units they have in front of them.

Say it is cheaper to do the iron head you have all ready, they through "It's a new head" in your face like your stupid.

LOL, I know what you mean. Well, everybody is/gets stuck on "It's a NEW head" while ignoring the units they have in front of them.

Say it is cheaper to do the iron head you have all ready, they through "It's a new head" in your face like your stupid.

high 5.

btw just flowed some stage 1 308's and ootb & then blended 'by me' 587's from indy...

Get a chance to use/check out the porting templates?

Trying to save some money to send ya my 308.

Hi, I have a 360 that I want to squeeze some more power from. I dont want to add nitrous or stroker kit,ect, just keep it how it is. My build so far is:

- Magnum 360, 9.5 compression
- RHS heads with 2.02/1.65 stainless valves
- 750HP DP, crosswind air gap intake
- Cam- 227/228-0.512/0.525-114
- 3500 stall,3.91 gears

What would you upgrade on this more to be more potent?
Ported heads? upgrade cam?

Heres a link to a cam that hughes recommend: http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?browse=category&level0=U21hbGwgQmxvY2sgTWFnbnVtICgzLjkvNS4yLzUuOSk=&level1=Q2Ftc2hhZnQ=&level2=Um9sbGVyLCBIeWRyYXVsaWM=&level3=Q2FyYnVyZXRlZCBvciBTQ1QgVHVuZWQ=&partid=26471

Thanks! :prayer:

Bring the compression up around 10.5:1 (downside may have to use better gas) Cam in the 250 duration @ 50 should make it fly and still be streetable.

How much does the car weigh?

I'd lose the intake for starters. What rocker setup do you have? What springs were used on those heads? I would not stick a solid roller in it unless the block was bushed for it. But that's just me. Without block mods I would consider a solid flat tappet, that will make more torque, over a wider rpm curve, and more peak power at a more usable peak rpm. But any larger cam will need matchign springs, and rockers that can handle it. That looks to me like you have stock Magnum type stuff and you're at the limit.

The car weights 3500lb with me. I want to keep the hydraulic roller lifter setup. What rockers would you get for RHS magnum heads? Iv heard that AMC roller rockers will fit mopars??

Those heads are sold bare. Who assembled them and how much do you know about them? You need to answer the question about the springs and current rocker setup. There are plenty of camshafts, but if the heads can't work with them, it really doesnt matter.

also look at your rear suspension ...shocks...Cal-Tracs...lite weight wheels...it all adds up...

all the power in the world wont do you any good unless you can get it down the track...

Spend your money on the chassis first, the engine can come later.

100% agree. So many guys ignore the suspension and concentrate on the motor. There can be a ton of 60 ft improvements you can make. these translate to improved track times.

I'd do the intake. It would really help if the heads were drilled for the LA style intakes. That crosswind is a POS. I'd bet it is a restriction on your engine as it currently sits.

As far as the new head/old head deal- In my experience the old heads are usually more expensive and a lot less fun to do. By the time you pay for porting, valve job, hardware, etc, then you still likely have 3/8 valves vs 8mm and no hardened seats. Then you've got to mill the hell out of them (and your intake) to get close to the compression friendly 58-61cc that the new stuff comes with, and the new heads have the closed combustion chamber too.....

Nevermind the fact that you can't retrofit the LA stuff on to most of the Magnum engines...

Nevermind the fact that you order the new stuff and it shows up, so you don't have to keep running by the machine shop only to hear "Two weeks!" every two weeks.

Nevermind the fact that if you actually want to put up with all that crap you can port the new stuff too....

As far as the new head/old head deal- In my experience the old heads are usually more expensive and a lot less fun to do. By the time you pay for porting, valve job, hardware, etc, then you still likely have 3/8 valves vs 8mm and no hardened seats. Then you've got to mill the hell out of them (and your intake) to get close to the compression friendly 58-61cc that the new stuff comes with, and the new heads have the closed combustion chamber too.....

Nevermind the fact that you can't retrofit the LA stuff on to most of the Magnum engines...

Nevermind the fact that you order the new stuff and it shows up, so you don't have to keep running by the machine shop only to hear "Two weeks!" every two weeks.

Nevermind the fact that if you actually want to put up with all that crap you can port the new stuff too....
:sign3:

The springs came already assembled with the rhs heads I bought from Hughes engines(
120# @ 1.660' INSTALLED 310# @ .550' LIFT), and I am using the stock magnum rocker arms. Thanks for the good replies!

-
Back