More On Spark Plug Gaskets

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
To help get a visual on the reasons for removing the spark plug gaskets on I believe it was the 63 and up drool tube heads, I went out and took a few pictures. And of course, everything @slantsixdan posted with his generously provided service bulletins was right on the mark, as usual.

First, here is the counterbore that the plug tubes fit into.

PLUG COUNTERBORE.JPG

Next, you can plainly see the tube end tapers into the perfect diameter to fit into the counterbore in the cylinder head.

PLUG TUBE END.JPG

Finally, here is the difference between a plug without the gasket (nearest) and one with the gasket (next one down). It actually ends up being a bigger difference than you might expect. Certainly enough to effect the heat dissipation the Chrysler technical bulletin was speaking of. I think this alone is reason enough to say with concrete evidence that removing the gaskets on the drool tube heads with the counterbore is the correct thing to do. As always, thanks @slantsixdan for your expertise in this area. I just wanted to follow up with pictures so all of you could have a good visual of the situation. The last thing we want is for members falling for erroneous information, posted with no basis in reality.

PLUG DEPTH DIFFERENCE.JPG

To help get a visual on the reasons for removing the spark plug gaskets on I believe it was the 63 and up drool tube heads, I went out and took a few pictures. And of course, everything @slantsixdan posted with his generously provided service bulletins was right on the mark, as usual.

First, here is the counterbore that the plug tubes fit into.

View attachment 1715734375

Next, you can plainly see the tube end tapers into the perfect diameter to fit into the counterbore in the cylinder head.

View attachment 1715734376

Finally, here is the difference between a plug without the gasket (nearest) and one with the gasket (next one down). It actually ends up being a bigger difference than you might expect. Certainly enough to effect the heat dissipation the Chrysler technical bulletin was speaking of. I think this alone is reason enough to say with concrete evidence that removing the gaskets on the drool tube heads with the counterbore is the correct thing to do. As always, thanks @slantsixdan for your expertise in this area. I just wanted to follow up with pictures so all of you could have a good visual of the situation. The last thing we want is for members falling for erroneous information, posted with no basis in reality.

View attachment 1715734377
So Rob if using a drool tube head You don’t use the spark plug gasket?? Thanks for your help!!

RustyRatRod said:
More On Spark Plug Gaskets

See, now there's your problem. The solution is easy: use reasonably clever spark plugs, then you won't have to fret about moron spark plug gaskets.

Spark plug gasket morons are a different subject, but they're not worth much worry, either.
redbeard.gif

See, now there's your problem. The solution is easy: use reasonably clever spark plugs, then you won't have to fret about moron spark plug gaskets.

Spark plug gasket morons are a different subject, but they're not worth much worry, either.
View attachment 1715734432

Wanna hear a goodun? When I made this thread, I gotsta to thinkin.......I couldn't remember takin the gaskets off these plugs I just put in this engine. Sho nuff, I checked and there they were, so off they came. LOL

-
Back