More Problems After Suspension Rebuild

-

eekvonzipper

My Member is Legendary!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just Replaced Everything under the '65 Barracuda
Idler, Tie Rods, UCA's, Lower Arms w/Stiffening Plates and Sway Tabs...
Added a Factory Sway Bar, Replaced Bent Strut Rod's and Shot Bushings.
After the Roughed-In Caster/Camber/Toe Adjustment
I came back from a couple mile test drive to find an Exploded Strut Rod Bushing
just on One side.
Why would this happen? The Drive actually felt Great!

lft Bsh.jpg

Rt Bsh.jpg

b4.jpg

aft.jpg

What does the LCA bushing look like on that side? It's always simply possible you got a defective bushing.

It still looks centered? Felt nice and tight going in and the cast/camber/height didn't change much.
I think the height actually raised a bit after the drive...
Weird. This Split Bushing is what made me do all this work. To see it split again immediately after completion is heart breaking

Any sharp edges the bushing is in contact with? That will surely dig into the material easily.
Those big washers look completely flat.
I would think dished washers like used by the factory will be friendlier on the bushings. But I've also seen these dished washers installed backwards, to limit suspension bind.

Also, those nuts look like stock ones. No locking nuts or cotter pin? You need those.

Unfortunately quality of parts aren't very good these days.

From the photo it looks like the washer is installed incorrectly. The cupped face goes toward the bushing. 65'

It may be those two piece bushings are too thick for the application (regardless of what the seller lists. :( )
I can't say this is or is not the direct cause, but possibly a contributor. Also..
Multi-piece bushing assembly have a metal sleeve and the ones for fine threaded strut rods have retaining washers like shown in the shop manual.
upload_2021-5-30_11-20-57.png

upload_2021-5-30_11-27-57.png

When torqued to spec, the retainers contact the metal sleeve.
upload_2021-5-30_11-22-50.png

upload_2021-5-30_11-28-43.png

upload_2021-5-30_11-30-1.png

40 ft-lbs for all car lines.
And yes there should be a roll pin or cotter pin as an extra safety measure.

From the photo it looks like the washer is installed incorrectly. The cupped face goes toward the bushing. 65'
I put the Cupped Washer in Backwards Also the Factory Bolt is Backward because it has a Tapered Side
They Have a Metal Sleeve, I have a Smaller Bushing on the Backside and the Thicker One in Front
I didn't put the Pin in because its a '65 that Never had One before and That is the Factory Bolt (Just Backward)

Are those the washers that came in your strut rod bushing kit? Factory washers are mounted against factory one-piece bushings with the concave side toward the bushings. Most all aftermarket split bushing kits have you install the washer with the convex side toward the bushings. I don't remember seeing a kit with flat washers, but, it's possible I guess. At least that outer bushing is easy to change!

Are those the washers that came in your strut rod bushing kit? Factory washers are mounted against factory one-piece bushings with the concave side toward the bushings. Most all aftermarket split bushing kits have you install the washer with the convex side toward the bushings. I don't remember seeing a kit with flat washers, but, it's possible I guess. At least that outer bushing is easy to change!
They're Factory Washers just Flipped Over. (Convex-In)... I didn't like the Big, Ugly Washers that came in the Kit's

They're Factory Washers just Flipped Over. (Convex-In)... I didn't like the Big, Ugly Washers that came in the Kit's

The big, ugly washers are there for a reason if those are 2 piece replacement bushings. The factory washers were likely for the single-piece bushing design.

Yeah, Luckily tho, I still have This Stuff Layin' around...
I understand that These are hard to find right now (Like Everything Else We Need)

washers.jpg

-
Back