More throttle linkage questions.

-

Corrupt_Reverend

Reaction score
Alright. So I finally put the edlebrock adapter (1481) but now I'm having kickdown linkage problems.

It seems like the threaded rod is too short.

In this picture, the rod is as far forward as it will go/adjust:

IP5r8BOm.jpg

(The spring is just holding it forward so I can take the picture.)

I have the end adjusted out as far as it will go.

And one more thing is the angle of that rod:

0XSqXOXm.jpg

I can flip it to the other side and it's not as bad, but it seems like it should go this way? I'm not sure.

Anybody know what's up with this?

Is there a longer rod I should be using, or should I just use a spring to hold the linkage back like TrailBeast has? (seems like I have a bigger gap that TB though.)

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Could be the linkage is from a 2 barrel carb. I have cut the linkage right behind the threads, and welded in an extension. Then welded the threaded part back on.

any time you go from a 2 bbl to a 4 bbl. ALL of the parts going to and from the carb are diff. the ONLY way to get it right is to use the Chrysler stock parts. the 4bbl pin that is pulled by the throttle is more forward and more to the drivers side. but if you mind the throttle sticking open or not opening far enough, do it your way.

Spot on. I believe it is from the 2bbl that came on the car. The PO did a lot of half-assed things over the years.

Big thanks for that input. I think I'm going to cut the rod at the beginning of the threads, and weld in some round bar to lengthen. Adding the round bar will also let me flip the whole shebang to the other side of the linage lever (at the firewall) and make it a nice straight shot instead of the wierd angle I've got now.

Spot on. I believe it is from the 2bbl that came on the car. The PO did a lot of half-assed things over the years.

Big thanks for that input. I think I'm going to cut the rod at the beginning of the threads, and weld in some round bar to lengthen. Adding the round bar will also let me flip the whole shebang to the other side of the linage lever (at the firewall) and make it a nice straight shot instead of the wierd angle I've got now.

what about this
http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/8004/10002/-1?parentProductId=753856

or
http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/8003/10002/-1?parentProductId=753856

I can weld in some roundbar today for free and be done instead of having to wait for those lengtheny adapter things to ship. :)

Edit: Plus, this is just temporary until I get around to installing the transgo TF-3 kit. Just gotta save up a bit before ordering the shifter I want.

I dont think you can flip it.You would have to un-bend/rebend the link, and then it will jam on the other end. You need the 4 bbl stuff. Chrysler engineered it for you. If you continue along this path, beware that if you overcenter the linkage, or it hangs up, you may have a carb stuck at some large throttle opening, and you are headed for a lot of trouble, possibly death. Others have alluded to this. I put it in writing as a warning to you and others who may be watching. Death is permanent. Do your homework. It can be made to work. The factory stuff works.

Rod lengthened. I just straightened out the bend, chopped the threaded end off, and added the length needed (along with a new opposite bend).

Really not rocket surgery.

Throttle pressure linkage lengthened and throttle cable bracket made. Everything works just fine.

I'll post a picture tomorrow if anybody wants. Not really much to see. haha.

Thanks again for the help everyone. :)

-
Back