More turn signal questions.

-

HemiPar

Reaction score
Hey all. I have been trying to get my 71 Swinger together. I just installed the grill so now all my lights are installed and with new bulbs. The issue is my signals will not flash. Dash lite comes on, front and rear bulbs come on. I have used 3 flasher units. Tracked the pink wires from the unit. Wires go to, fuse box, steering colum conector and brake pedal. Seams to be getting power to all.
But as I type this I remember I do not have the fender mount indicators mounted, would that be the problem with flashing? I will go check that while I hope someone else may chime in. Thanks for any help.

I think you have solved your own problem. Non flashing is the way older cars indicate a bulb is burned out. if your fender mounted turn signals are not set up it may appear to the system that a bulb is out.

I would check that the "right stuff" is coming on at the right time.

One thing you could do is set up a "normal" turn, such as key on, signal to left, and yank out the flasher.

No lights should be on

Now take a piece of wire and use it to plug into the flasher connector. you should have the front, rear, and dash turn all on.

If so, try a right turn.

Next, add brakes. Pull out your jumper wire, move switch to left, and apply brakes. Front, dash lamps should light, only right rear stop lamp should light, and left rear turn lamp should be out.

Same thing on right turn.

If all this checks out, try a different flasher

If the front bulb sockets are mounted in a plastic grille they will need a chassis ground wire. It was commonly ran to the radiator support.
The flasher responds to the load on it. Only one bulb will not draw enough current to generate a flash. Lots of bulbs , like with a trailer hooked up, will generate a rapid flash until the flasher fails. Heavy duty flashers solve that problem. The only way a fender mounted bulb can make a difference is if they routed the ground for the grille mounted fixtures through the fender mounted fixtures and I dont believe that is the case.
Hope this helps

Thanks guys for the help. I talked to a buddy at the parts store (owns a 74 Charger), he said his car has 2 flasher units, 1 emergency flasher and 1 turn flasher. The emergency flashers work. I can not find any other flasher unit under my dash. Does anyone know if this is true and where it may be? Also what color wire for turn flasher? The unit I found has 3 pinkish color wires.

Damn, that was a pain. Had to take the A/C vent off to get to it. Then PITA to get it back in the mounting bracket. Dan you could have told me that part, haha. But a big thank you for the location.

I just wanna say thanks for all the help. Now all my light work but my fender mount signals. But that duw to bad lights and housing. Another little project for a later date.

Those fender lights are usually a PITA. You'll need to carefully unscrew the bulb holders from the bottom if they are not too corroded. If they are corroded the whole fixture usually falls apart no matter how careful you are with it (it's really discouraging actually). Anyhow, I believe it's a special 330 bulb in there which sometimes you can clean up and get er working. Good luck.

Well I have the earlire ones. One has a wire pulled out of the socket and the other I have somewhat apart but can't get the lense off the base. Do I just pry it off and hope not to break it?

-
Back