motor mount brackets and bolts

-

snowmobiler7c

Reaction score
I just pulled off my motor mount bracket off my 70 dart 318 and threw them in the ultrasonic cleaner before work. I planed on using them on my 408 stroker (360) block. My buddy just told me the 340/360 driver side bracket might be different from the 318, is that correct? Also what size and type of bolts does everyone use to mount the bracket to the block. I planned on using all the originals but they are a mismatch of different bolts obviously someone had the engine out at one time and lost the original's. thanks
Mark

Drivers side bracket is different from 318 to 340/360. The rearmost top ear will not sit flush with the ear on the block. You can shim it with washers or a spacer. Someone on here probably has a picture of it. That's how my 340 is currently set up. Just use a longer bolt for that hole, grade 8.

Drivers side bracket is different from 318 to 340/360. The rearmost top ear will not sit flush with the ear on the block. You can shim it with washers or a spacer. Someone on here probably has a picture of it. That's how my 340 is currently set up. Just use a longer bolt for that hole, grade 8.

I just got home and look. It appears originally my 318 had four mounting bolts on the passenger side and the 360 only has casting on the block for 3 mounting bolts. On the driver side I originally had 3 bolts on the 318 but the rear mounting location is way off when lining up the front holes. Looks to be 2in too low. Guess I need to find a set of A body 340/360 mounts or buy a set from Schumacher.

I just got home and look. It appears originally my 318 had four mounting bolts on the passenger side and the 360 only has casting on the block for 3 mounting bolts. On the driver side I originally had 3 bolts on the 318 but the rear mounting location is way off when lining up the front holes. Looks to be 2in too low. Guess I need to find a set of A body 340/360 mounts or buy a set from Schumacher.

My car is a 74 with spool mounts. Only thing I could see that would make yours different. Good luck.

Yes being the spool mount might make a difference.

Inertia thanks for the link. The photos johnny dart posted show my exact issue. Wish I new sooner guess the motor wont drop in this weekend. Im just going to bite the bullet and order a set of schumaker mounting brackets. Then at least ill be sure to have the correct ones.

People have been modifying or fabbing these mounts long before Schuy showed up.
Done both many times.
Give it a try, that's why I posted the link,
not to send needless $$$ to Schuy.
Good luck !

Your inbox is full.

-
Back