Motor mount frame bolt facing front or back??

-

xLURKxDOGx

"An angel fat, at satan's feast"
Reaction score
I have the correct early a mounts that will be going into a 63 valiant. Ive got the engine in and i am second guessing the way i had them and would like to verify that the way i have them is correct, closer towards the radiator or to the transmission?. Ive looked all over threads and cant seem to find good pics??? Also, is the nub on the mount supposed to be facing the engine or frame, because i looks like if its the engine ill need to drill a hole in the mount so it fits flush.

Thanks!!!

Jake

Whichever way is easiest to get the nuts on? The nub keeps the mount from spinning when tightening the bolt, so it needs to be in a receiver hole.

Looks like i got it wrong.......

Thanks!!!

The stud will be in the center if the mounts are correct. The 67 and up mounts have the stud off center. It sounds as if someone sold you the 67 up mounts.

The stud will be in the center if the mounts are correct. The 67 and up mounts have the stud off center. It sounds as if someone sold you the 67 up mounts.

I originally bought the http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ani-2265/applications/year/1965
and didnt realize they were for the /6. I just went to napa and got the ones it says are for early a http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ani-2266/overview/year/1965/make/dodge/model/dart. I put them in and everything is great but now the transmission is 3/4" inch or so to far to the back and wont line up with the transmission crossmember. I am a little stumped at this point and only have 2 days to figure this out. Do you know what are the correct ones for this???

Thanks
Jake

I don't think it really matters which direction the nuts are facing. The important thing is to remember to install them. No kidding, as you can see from the pictures, I made a rather alarming discovery when removing the engine on my 66 Barracuda. Sometime back in the car's past, a so called "mechanic" did just that.. didn't reinstall the mount bolts and nuts.

This happened so long ago that the steel part of the mount had rubbed a 1/8" depression in the block. The engine was sitting almost an inch low on one side. The passenger side exhaust manifold and fuel pump hides the bolts unless you are specifically looking for them.

It appears the engine was raised off the mounts to remove the steering box. I suspect this because the "mechanic" broke or lost one of the steering box attach bolts and replaced it with another bolt that was an inch too long... complete with 10 flat washers to make up for the extra bolt length.

The driver side mount had all three bolts and nuts reinstalled, but the conical washer on the mount to K-frame stud was reversed with concave side out.

My guess is the PO allowed a class of 3rd graders make repairs to his car and in the end had some excellent examples of very bad mechanicing.

But, back to the bolt direction issue. All the unmolested 273's I have worked on had the nuts facing outward from the mount as seen in picture. I think the factory service manual actually has drawing showing this, but again, I don't think it really matters as long as you put them in.

Attachments

• 66 mount 1.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 167
  • 66 mount 2.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 172
  • 66 mount 3.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 162
-
Back