Motor Mount Help

-

6slick4

Reaction score
I'll get right to it. I've been reading alot of conflicting information about motor mounts. I've got a 1964 barracuda that came with the original 273 and a running 318 from a 87' dodge ram. Some have told me that I will have to modify the right(passenger side) mount in order to reuse the mounts that came off of the 273, while others have told me just the opposite. I've also read that there should be no modification at all to use the mounts from the 273 right onto the 318. Can someone clarify what is correct? or should I get the mounts from schumacher? Also, I've read that all 273 were cast with 4 ears for the passenger side mount, mine only has 3, 2 towards the rear of the block and 1 towards the front. Is this just a fluke or just a 64' year cast?

I'm ready to pull the engine from the truck but want to clarify a few things first before I do in case for some reason I can't use it. Especially since the truck has a nice straight body.

Thanks for any help.

318 and 273 use the same mounts. 340 and 360 are slightly different on the driver side (as I recall).

Attachments

• 299516_1813228309165_1793770338_1214541_460617294_n.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 344
There is no need to modify engine brackets when swapping in a 318 where a 273 once sat. 273's and 318's share a common block lug lay out left and right; 340 and 360 share a common block lug lay out left and right; it is the right side block lugs that are different. They (340, 360) are narrower, and the hole pattern is different, thus the reason of having to weld on a small triangle of material and drilling a new hole, making a spacer, or stacking washers.

The MP Chassis Manual covers this information, P/N: P5249441

Hope this helps

In other words 318-273 mounts same, 340-360 mounts need some work.(for early A's)

In other words 318-273 mounts same, 340-360 mounts need some work.(for early A's)

Not exactly...........273 mounts need work in order to work on 340/360 engines.

340 mounts don't work in an early"A", or at least not with out a lot of work to the "K" member/engine brackets.

I really don't understand why this is so hard.......info for putting 340's/360's into early "A's has been around for over 40 years; developed by the people who designed and built the cars/engines, and made available as tech service bulletins for US, the hot rodders.

Sorry question is to install 318 in early a body. The 340-360 engines require the mods to 273 mounts, but the early 318 has enough ears on the block as to bolt right in. The 87 model 318 might be different?

I didnt what to mess around with not having the right ones, so I went and installed new schumacher mounts.... Why mess with the rest...[/QUOTE]

X2!

Just went down this road! Took a 318 out of a 75 Dodge shorty van and worked it over. Tried the mounts with the engine- not even close! A friend told me 273 mounts would work just fine, so I borrowed my 273 mounts from my other 66 Barracuda. Still no go! Had to weld an extra triangle of metal to the passenger side mount and drill it to get it to work! Hope this helps!

ok. thanks for all of the replies. From what I've read it sounds like the 273 brackets may or may not work on an 87' 318, depending on how many ears the block has, specifically on the passenger side. Ill post some pics after I get it pulled.

These guys are right add an ear to the right mount and you are fine. When swapping them to a 340 or 360 the same to the right mount and just stack some washers on one ear on the left mount. So no need to buy new mounts just use what you have from the 273.

Yup, looks like the 318 I'm using out of the truck has 2 ears towards the front and 1 to the back on the right side(passenger side), the opposite of the 273. Looks like I'll have to modify the bracket or order the 273/318 set from schumacher.

I can speak from direct experience. the 273 mount brackets will work fine on a 318. been there done it.

I can speak from direct experience. the 273 mount brackets will work fine on a 318. been there done it.

I've gotten a real close look at the ears on the passenger side of the 318 and they are the complete opposite of the ears on the passenger side of the 273. The 273 mounts will work, but only with some fabrication as some have already said.

The bracket on the left in the picture is the passenger side mount from the 273. On the 318 the 2 hole part of the bracket is at the front and the single hole part is at the rear. So the only way the left bracket in the picture would work on the 318 would be to add some metal to it.

aneypt.jpg

The last thing you want to do is have the engine 3/4 in and find out the motor mounts are the wrong one's. Why mess with the rest it is not worth it.....

Sorry thought I had posted this last night. Only half decent picture I have of mount change. 2 hour job.

Attachments

• 03-2012 modified 318 bracket.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 266
Not to open a can of worms again - but maybe mopar changed the mount ears on the 318s. I dropped a 68 318 into my 66 using the stock 273 brackets. I changed nothing on them, went in no problems. Good luck with your project.

Not a can of worms for 318, but somewhere along the way they changed mounts and unsure what year that it happened. If the mounting is different then think along the lines of 340-360 mounting issues. I did something to drivers side mount for 340 mounting, but it took so little time that I do not remember what. Also failed to take pictures either.

I have done this a couple of times now. Last one was an 89 Dippy 318 that I put into a 63 Valiant. I used the 65 Barracuda 273 mounts, but had to weld on a triangular piece to the pass side mount and drill out the hold for the bolt to go thru. I also had to modify the firewall around the heater fan on the 63, but you don't need to worry about that on the 64 and up cars. Us the 273 mounts if you have them and get the one modified. No biggie.

I have done this a couple of times now. Last one was an 89 Dippy 318 that I put into a 63 Valiant. I used the 65 Barracuda 273 mounts, but had to weld on a triangular piece to the pass side mount and drill out the hold for the bolt to go thru. I also had to modify the firewall around the heater fan on the 63, but you don't need to worry about that on the 64 and up cars. Us the 273 mounts if you have them and get the one modified. No biggie.
Yup, it all depends on the block you're using. Some 318 blocks have 3 bosses on each side but some use a different 3 than the 273 has. Some other 318's have all 4 bosses. As for the 340/360 drivers' side problem, if you don't like the looks of the stack of washers (I don't myself) I've sectioned the stock 273 bracket with a chop saw and welded it back together to narrow it up. Takes a bit more work but gives you a stock look. Or pay $170+ for ones ready to go from Schumacher but they don't look like stock ones.

-
Back