Motor mount swap

-

Mims Gt

Reaction score
Interested to know what is needed for removal to swap motor mounts. Carb is off and mounting plate attached. besides the motor mounts do I need to remove exhaust @ collectors or Tranny mount to get the engine high enough to swap mounts?

I don't think the engine needs to go up very far. Remove the horizontal bolts that hold the mount brackets to the block as well as the nuts on the mount blocks themselves and the brackets should rotate up and away from the block. If you have power steering, this may be more difficult. Everything on an early A is more difficult with power steering.

If your mounts are the stock type that a 273 uses that year, there's just one nut on top and one on the bottom of the mount studs. After removing those, I just use a floor jack under the oil pan to lift the engine enough to remove/replace the mounts. Your cherry picker will do the same job since you already have the carb off. You shouldn't have to remove anything else, except maybe the distributor cap. Just keep and eye on it to see how close it's getting to the firewall. Unless your exhaust is rigid mounted somewhere, it shouldn't need to be loosened or unbolted.

-
Back