Motor mounts for engine swap

-

Rodzilla

Reaction score
I have found a bunch of mounts for putting a Chevy in a dodge chassis but nothing for the other way around. Anyone know of a manufacturer that makes these? I'm building a '71 Fargo that is on a Chevy caprice chassis, just finishing the 340 that is going to go in it. It was someone else's project that I picked up rolling for cheap, the chev chassis wasn't my idea. But no way in hell was I putting a chev drivetrain in it.

Can you modify any mounts to fit?

Maybe start with the Mopar mounts coming off of the block and then pick what setup to use in the car.

Make them ?????

Sure, if you have a good welder.

Cut and paste/mix and match what you need to get them to line up. Once you know what you have coming off the engine, and what you have to "land" on for engine mounts on the k-frame, then fabricate something to work (just make sure you use thick enough metal to handle the load).

Example: go for the early 70's/late 60's style (sandwich mount). Use the mounts for the engine ears from a stock engine, then cut the mounting pads off of a Mopar k-frame and weld them into the vehicle that you are putting the engine into. Make sure you get the distance between mounts correct and proper height. Then use the stock rubber mount between the engine mount brackets and k-frame brackets.

You don't need a $1000 welder to make engine mounts, did mine with a HF flux core welder, very strong, no issues. Template them in captain crunch box, mock them up, weld them, drill out the holes. Have a beer.

I could fab them up but if I can find a way not to waste a day doing that I would. I work away from home and if I can find something off the shelf to buy, would be better option then eating up my precious time off I will take it. I'm pretty much guessing I'm S.O.L. but figured I would ask around anyway.
I've got a mig and already thought about merging two sets of mounts. Probably the way to go. Thanks guys.

Doubt they make them as you'd like. Don't think there's any demand for that swap.

yupp the 350 goes in everything; but if you like mopar your going to have to be a little creative, personally I'd modify the frame to accept stock truck mounts or another thing that would be much easier is A body spool mounts

another thing that would be much easier is A body spool mounts

wrjjol.jpg

I was hoping for an easy fix,,,,,But I will get it figured out when the time comes. I appreciate all your input!

Why are you using a GM chassis instead of the orginal?

It was someone else's project I picked up. I guess he wanted a car-like ride and be able to use his chev drivetrain?

find a dodge truck frame in the late 70's to early 90s and put your cab and box on, then you don't have to fab hardly anything and you can likely get a truck that the body is bad for under $500

That's an idea,,,,but waaaay more work then motor mounts. This cab and box have been modded to fit caprice chassis.

-
Back