Motor mounts: how to replace biscuits

-

rich006

Learning as I go
Reaction score
I got my new motor mount biscuits (for a Slant on a 1974 Dart). Is there any special trick to removing the old and installing the new? My thought is to beat out the old ones with a big screwdriver and a hammer, then press the new ones in with a large socket or something, and finally bend the sleeve edges down to make sure the biscuit can't slide out (the same way the original ones are done). I see that I have to be careful to install them right way up, as the bushing is off center.

IMG_3135.JPG

Yeah, I went ahead and did it without waiting for replies. :) The replacement inserts are a bit shorter than the originals, so it will be a challenge to bend the tabs out enough to get them to stay in. I guess they don't have to be super tight in there.

I would have gotten the urethane replacements.

I would have gotten the urethane replacements.
I won’t be installing the engine for weeks, so there’s time to get urethane if there’s a good reason to. I thought the stock replacements would be fine because the originals lasted 45 years and I won’t be running anything high performance. If someone makes a good case for urethane I could probably be convinced.

It seems new replacement mounts are not the same quality as the originals were. I had experienced this on my Neon. It seems the primary source for manufacturing is in India. I have nothing against India except the rubber/steel bond didn't hold up for long, like maybe a year.

Years ago I converted my 68 SB to a spool mount K frame. I picked up the used motor mounts at a swap meet cheap. I pretty much burned the old rubber out of them, painted the metal bits, and then used a poly spool insert I got from one of the suspension places. When i got the car the PS leaked and had saturated the driver side rubber mount so it was pretty bad. My 64 /6 was similar except if was leaking engine oil that did it in.

Urethane is harsh. If it were a stock build I'd try the rubber again. I think it has its place in some suspension applications but for a stock motor mount, give the $2 rubber insert a try or splurge for the $7 complete assembly. Westar is Korean and looks like a solid rubber while the Anchor is an OEM open design but may have more certs in manufacturing data.
1974 DODGE DART 3.7L 225cid L6 Motor Mount | RockAuto

-
Back