Motor Mounts

-

'Bout Time!!

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know its not on an A body but my wife's Pacifica has a broken motor mount. The dealership wants $650 to fix it. I looked at it and it doesnt look too terrible to do myself. I'm thinking I can handle it, but i was going to pick up a repair manuel for it at the local parts store and they don't carry one for that model. I was hoping someone out there has either done this or has any information pertaining to this "job". Or at the least maybe point me in the right direction .Thanks for the help!

What car and year? They got manuels just my not be in stock and need to order one for you.

Not hard at all. Unbolt old one, jack motor up, take old one out, put new one in, put motor back down and put the other bolt in.

Google it and see if there is a site for those cars. Lots of times there are techs that can help out.

I know on some cars, there are wiring harnesses very close or integral with the mount bolts and you need to be VERY careful not to pinch your harness.

It's expensive for two reasons. One, dealers charge a bit more labor than most repair shops. Two, I believe it is a hydraulic mount and all those oil filled mounts are expensive. Dealer parts are almost always more than aftermarket, but I love the way they fit every time.

For newer cars like that, especially when they are FWD - the FSM is the way to go.

Fortunately, Mitchell does a good job of supplying that online. They will give you single model access to their very complete database for less than 15 bucks. It can be a marriage saver for sure.

Mitchell repair manuals online

If you even need to do something like pull an evaporator from a vehicle like the Pacifica or a Caraavan you really need that manual.

B.

For newer cars like that, especially when they are FWD - the FSM is the way to go.

Fortunately, Mitchell does a good job of supplying that online. They will give you single model access to their very complete database for less than 15 bucks. It can be a marriage saver for sure.

Mitchell repair manuals online

If you even need to do something like pull an evaporator from a vehicle like the Pacifica or a Caraavan you really need that manual.

B.

I almost forgot. Most public libraries have Alldata available at no charge. Mine charges to print, but it is an awesome resource ... just not for our older cars!

I have 2 Chrysler minivans, 2.4L and 3.8L. I think the Pacifica is the same underneath, but don't quote me. I have removed the transmission from both and I recall they are both about the same. They have 4 motor mounts, all regular rubber spools similar to later A-bodies. The one in the rear (bolts to transaxle) appears to take the most weight. It is also hardest to change since you have to remove the air boxes, cruise control, etc., lean way in, and has stuff like heat shields around it. The others are easy to change. All you need is the sissors jack that came with the car to support the engine/tranny. The front one you can remove without a jack and let the bottom bolts pull it up. The one on the driver's side (end of tranny) has a little trick. Remove the wheel and fold back the plastic liner to reveal a hole to stick your socket thru (get a long 1/2" drive extension).

Thanks Everyone! I fought that thing for 6 hours last night, I almost fixed it with a match. But I ran out of time and have no choice but to have it repaired by the dealer now. As I am late for work now and my wife wants it done now! But i will check out that alldata and Mitchells online. Thanks again!

Thanks Everyone! I fought that thing for 6 hours last night, I almost fixed it with a match. But I ran out of time and have no choice but to have it repaired by the dealer now. As I am late for work now and my wife wants it done now! But i will check out that alldata and Mitchells online. Thanks again!

did you get very far with it?

Hey guys, I know its not on an A body but my wife's Pacifica has a broken motor mount. The dealership wants $650 to fix it. I looked at it and it doesnt look too terrible to do myself. I'm thinking I can handle it, but i was going to pick up a repair manuel for it at the local parts store and they don't carry one for that model. I was hoping someone out there has either done this or has any information pertaining to this "job". Or at the least maybe point me in the right direction .Thanks for the help!
Sorry, kinda bounced in here late on this one. But, for future reference, there are some good forums at Allpar.com, with one being specific to Pacifica. Another resource is http://www.chryslerminivan.net/, some members have Pacificas and would be very helpful. There is some knowledge that crosses over between the minivan and Pacifica platforms.

Thanks again, I will definately check out the allpar forum, should be helpful in future, if i keep it, those new Durangos sure are pretty. As far as how far i got it, had everything unbolted, motor lifted up, still couldn't get it. So i decided if I remove the starter it would slid right out... nope. Finally after my neighbor got in troble with his wife for being gone too long I started putting it back together. I worked on it for 5 hours. I dropped it off this morning at a mechanic shop i use sometimes and they had it finished in a hour and a half andd they charged $250 A lot better but I was planning on useing that money for my Duster, Oh well...

I am lucky to have access to Mitchell on demand, that is a life saver for sure. Good luck with that mount.

-
Back