Motor Mounts

-

PhillH

Reaction score
Can someone please explain the difference in motor mounts to me? I have a 71 Scamp that came with a 318, I put in my 360LA and I did have to shim one side because a the tab issue, not a big deal but I would like to make it right while I have it back out right now. What's the difference between biscuit and spool mounts? Which do I have? I bought new mounts for the car but not necessarily correct for my engine application. Thanks.

Can someone please explain the difference in motor mounts to me? I have a 71 Scamp that came with a 318, I put in my 360LA and I did have to shim one side because a the tab issue, not a big deal but I would like to make it right while I have it back out right now. What's the difference between biscuit and spool mounts? Which do I have? I bought new mounts for the car but not necessarily correct for my engine application. Thanks.

I dunno, my crystal ball got smashed last night. :D

Biscuit:

View attachment biscuit.jpg

Spool:

View attachment spool.JPG

1973 was the first year A-bodies used the one piece spool mounts. So yours falls into the '72 and older2 piece biscuit mounts. The photo shows the bottom 1/2 of the biscuit mount. But it is possible to swap K-members and related components between years.

There are some detailed pics in this old forabodiesonly.com thread.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=219292

Great, now I know the differance, I have biscuits, I can see why the spool mounts have their name, but the biscuits? Anybody have a suggestion for one I can just buy without modifying for my application?

Yours is most likely a bracket issue. The real 360 brackets are a little scarce as I have heard but I think the 318 brackets will mount to the 360 with the addition of some washers....

Where/what exactly do you have to shim? Where it attaches to the block?

Yes one of the tabs on the block is a little more offset than the ones on the 318 so you just add washers to fill the gap. Somebody one here has a pic.

Yes one of the tabs on the block is a little more offset than the ones on the 318 so you just add washers to fill the gap. Somebody one here has a pic.

Right, I assume that's where the issue is, and quite common for it to be shimmed.

Right, I did use the washers to compensate for the tab offset. If nobody has had issues doing it that way I can live with it, I just don't want to end up having a broken tab or something. The mancini mounts are pricey, and I just bought the Buchillon??? torque flight setup, wow pricey but I want it right.

Lot's of guys run with the washers, I may have to as well on my build/transplant.

Actually, if I have to, I will probably cut a piece of pipe nipple just the right length and just enough to slide over the bolt. I think it would at least look better. Even though no one can see it, lol.

Yes that's what I should have done, but even though we try to do everything to perfection, when your working on getting a major project done, those last minute little things that are about to derail everything get rushed. lol. Thats why I have my engine back out, ran it in but still needs some tweaking before road ready.

On my '71 no amount of shimming would have done squat since there was no ear on the mount where you would bolt/shim (drivers side). I welded up some from stockers and limited the biscuits with plates welded on the side (they aren't fully solid, just limited so that pass side doesn't tear out in three hits).

-
Back