Motor swap

-

Perfomer

Reaction score
I know that this will upset some people . I am about 2/3 thru swapping a LS2 into my 66 Valiant . We install a Mustang 2 front end with rack and pinon steering and disc brakes .Narrowed 8.8 410 posi rear with 4 link and mini tubs . Power glide trans with 4500 stall . 15x10 61/2 inch back space 275 50 15 on the rear . This will be a street / strip use car . If you are interested in the specs I am willing to share .

Cool, though be prepared for some hating from others.

less costly and easier tuned . I can also upgrade to LS 7,8,9 without much trouble .

Not a hater here :D.

The LS engines look fairly wide to me. Curious how the header fab is working out?

Perfomer, I thought about an LS1 for my dart. I have a 2000 Trans Am that I tuned with HP Tuners software. Just adding headers/exhaust and a light tune the car was crazy fast. I ended up going crazy with the TA and now it is stupid fast. So since I have the software, and know quite a bit about the engine, the thought crossed my mind putting an LSX motor in my dart. I ended up building an old school 360 for it instead. I would be interested in the specs since I know what the LS motors can do, and you never know. I still might go modern Hemi, but this will be many years down the road since I just built my 360.

The motor is a tight fit , the cross member has to notched due to the oil pan sump length (F-Body) and distance from cross member and firewall . I used a ultra bell housing on the power glide and had to build a new tunnel . I reused the trans cross member and put holes where the torque bars went to run exhaust thru 2 1/4 od . The exhaust is stock 2011 Camaro manifolds ( Hooker ) copied them for their headers . I have 2 inch hood clearance so a carb set up would not work . You can see pictures on my Face Book page . Dwight Moss with avartar of a grey Buick Regal drag car .

Curious about your exhaust manifold or headers. Your engine compartment's tighter than my 76.

Screw the attitudes here on LS swaps. Many more are doing them. I am as well. Go to the mopar sites on facebook and see that the mopar or no car attitudes are becoming hysterically laughable. Nobody has ANY opinion unless they want to step up and finance your build.....Any takers with deep pockets??

Smart plan since GM put those engines in gazillions of pickups, so parts will be easily available for years. Probably a much cheaper approach than a new Hemi and about the same design effort. If somebody wants to decide how you work on your car, let them buy it.

Since I was last here ,I have gone from the 4:10 gears to 3:27 and 275-60-15 drag radials . This made my 60 mph rpm drop from 3600 to 2400 and a better cruising ride. I haven't been back to the track with it but the seat of the pants says not a lot of difference . I have also added some paint (same color) .

-
Back