Mounting buick engine on K-member?

-

440valiant

cuda
Reaction score
hey, im currently working on a drag car project ( 62 falcon tube car) and it had no suspension up front, so i welded my spare k-member on the front, and it fit PERFECTLY, and know i have my engine ready to drop in here in a few weeks and wondering how was i going to do it? Would it be easier to just install a motor plate on the frame? or somehow mount the engine onto the k-member? The engine is a 73' buick 455.

I will add pictures tomarow

Man that's one heck of a conglomeration of parts. Kinda like AMC did. Just me but I don't think I'd mixed parts up that much. If it's a tube car a motor plate would have been much better than welding on a K frame then trying to bolt a Buick to a Mopar K frame but that's just my opinion. Why didn't you just use a motor plate in the first place? Another consideration is will the oil pan and exhaust on the Buick clear the Mopar K frame?

Oh yeah just eliminating the K frame and using a motor plate would have to knock off 30-40 lbs. I'd think.

Oh yeah just eliminating the K frame and using a motor plate would have to knock off 30-40 lbs. I'd think.[/quote]

Where would the suspention mount to if you did not have a K member?

Not knocking you. Just asking and trying to learn.

There is a member here, DJVCuda, (i think) has a 'cuda with a Buick in it...

I think oil pan clearence will be a problem. Rear drag link and a rear sump pan = problems. If you figure it out let me know. I have a buddy that bet me a hundred bucks that I cant put a chevy block on a K frame. So far I have not taken the bet but I could use the money. It does not have to crank or be wired just a complete engine bolted in.

Not the early one (64 or 65??) is it? I ask because last time I read about it it had a 360 in it.

I think it was a 67 or 8...it's green, if I'm remembering correctly...I saw it one time at a show in Whitehaven Pa last year...

-
Back