Mounting CD player in dash?

-
Here's the hole I cut in the dash of my 72 Demon for a CD player. It is a little larger than the shaft style radio. Unfortunately, the picture does not show the sleeve that fits into the opening. There is a small lip on one end of the sleeve and little metal tabs cut into the sleeve that can be bent down to bring the lip on the sleeve firmly up against the dashboard. The face plate of the CD player covers the lip on the sleeve.

CD players are available with a mini-phono plug input that works on other media (iPod or cassette) allowing them to be played through the system. They are also available with USB ports, some on the front, if that is your need. Check out http://www.crutchfield.com for ideas.

Note how low I went with the cut. A large electrical bundle passes through that area. Make sure you account for its whereabouts before cutting. The dash is made of thick metal. I used a 4" carbide wheel on an electric drill to make the horizontal cuts. The wheel was too large for the vertical cuts, so I used a Dremel tool going through several carbide wheels in the process.

DSCN1845.jpg

-
Back