Mounting Solution for Early-A GT Trim!

-

TNT440_Cbody

Reaction score
Forget expensive crappy plastic aftermarket clips that you have to file down with a Dremel tool to make work... That's what I *was* doing until I thought, "F*** this!!! There has to be a better way!"

I bought a pack of 100 of these from McMaster-Carr for $6.95
www.mcmaster.com part number: 91010A110

If you decide to go this route, be sure to measure the diameter of your trim holes and count them all before ordering!!! I actually needed more than 100 to fill ALL the holes but decided that skipping a few wouldn't hurt anything.

The holes in the top vs. bottom strips of trim on my car were slightly different, with the top ones being larger. However I took the gamble and although the top trim is a little looser than the bottom trim, I don't think that it is going to fall off. If it does, I'll let you know. :toothy10:

5466887202_e921db2317_z.jpg

5466292231_8cde743f1a_z.jpg

5466888144_ca857b90c6_z.jpg

5466294851_383dc1f8fd_z.jpg

She's a-comin' along!!! :cheers:

And looking great I might add! Good info for us all. With the internet or a local body shop supply or fastener company, many clips can be found. Thanks for the tip! toolmanmike

Totally glad to help. 8)

There's more than one way to get this done. Another experiment I tried was using some clips like these, called "ribbed shank"

90221ac1wl.gif

www.mcmaster.com part number 90221A112

I bought a pair of similar items from the local Lowe's but the problem was that the heads would still have needed to be cut into a "double-d" shape to fit into the trim. However, they seem like they have greater holding strength.

The path that I chose seemed easy and cheap, and who doesn't like to try that first? :cheers: If it didn't work, I was going to go with the "ribbed shank" and just spend a few minutes each evening trimming them to fit.

Like I mentioned, I needed over 100 (I think it was about 106) so that's a lot of time invested!

I love coming up with new solutions and enjoy seeing what others have done as well. There's certainly a lot of talent on this site!

:read2:

After all of the rain this weekend, I think I'm gonna have to put some kind of sealer in each hole because the rear 1/4 on my driver's side was holding a lot of water. Water got in the holes, drained down the inside of the trunk and was still leaking out slowly this evening until I removed the body plug! #-o

I can't imagine that original clips fill up the hole either, or do they?

-
Back