Move this pig ! 340 B body ....

-

rebeldart

Reaction score
I still have my 70 340 Swinger - but couldn't pass a deal on a 73 Roadrunner - all original 340 car, bone stock except for an Edelbrock 750. Being heavier - and "neutered" in 73 - it's a dog compared to the Dart. I would do a 440 swap, but it's a 95,000 mile original so .... what can I do to get the best bang for the buck (has a sure grip, haven't figured the gear out yet as it just arrived Sunday). I have a Comp 268 left over I could stick in (?), any decent combo's would be appreciated, just want a little respect, not over the top. Thanks.

what can I do to get the best bang for the buck
The above is expensive and take awhile, but probably fitting the quote unless the quote also includes the thought of inexpensive.

Which would be mill heads for a reasonable ratio.
(Larger intake valve and/or bowl porting an option $$$ )
Install 340 cam or larger.
Headers help, but they all suck unless you spend big for Dougs or tti's. Which I'd finish up in 2-1/2 exhaust pipe size.

Also swap the intake for a RPM

I knew the stroking thing would come up - not going that route. I need to up the compression, no doubt - not sure best route for that .........

You might be able to turbo charge it without spending a fortune if you score a junk yard turbo and make a turbo manifold out of some old ruined headers. I remember seeing an article on how to make a holly? carb work with forced induction. But anyway if you had the means to fabricate your own custom turbo setup it might give you a nice bang for the buck. You might have more room to work with too since its not an A body.

Didn't cross my mind but now that it's been mentioned, a turbo down the road would be cool. Since the car doesn't need a rebuild, has low comp, and plenty of room for hardware ....... and the "cool" factor. What would th eperformance gain be ? How would the car "feel" with a turbo vs a performance ground-up build ?

That motor should have the 340 cam already in from the factory. Pistons need to be changed to up the compression.

340's can be quick in heavy cars, mines 3,700 lbs. It has 3.91 gears, a tci 10 inch converter and a hotter cam than the stock 340 cam...and dual quads, lol

I've been getting 8 mpg lately!

Oh! crap, stupid me, he has a 340 in it. Of course he has the 340 cam! DUH! LOL @ me!

I'm going to look into the turbo thing - my Darts a built 340 4-spd car, fun, fun, fun. I'd like to do something different with the RR, and turb'd be cool, cruise nice, show well and maybe have some go power as well ? Looks like I could turbo cheaper than the full peformance rebuild do all the work without yanking drivetrain, maybe, and get the gains I'd like to feel ?

Didn't cross my mind but now that it's been mentioned, a turbo down the road would be cool. Since the car doesn't need a rebuild, has low comp, and plenty of room for hardware ....... and the "cool" factor. What would th eperformance gain be ? How would the car "feel" with a turbo vs a performance ground-up build ?

What??

The motor has 95,000 miles / who knows if the oils been changed every 3,000 miles, lol.

Its also 37 years old. Bearings lose their crush, rings lose their tension.

You go putting boost to it I bet you anything before long a bearing will spin, the rings will leak bad and pour out smoke, a head gasket will blow, the lifters will fail, etc.

It needs a freshening up with at least new bearings, rings, new oil pump, gaskets. I would not be surprise if the cylinder have too much wear for just new rings. Hard to say--maybe the oil was changed often? Seems unlikely.

Well , somebody had to say it I guess. I can freshen it up myself here at home if it doesn't need boring , and would be a good idea when I pull to paint engine bay, I know al this. My focus was best route to go with original 340 in this heavy car to gain decent performance - I still like the turbo thoughts. Hate to be immature about it at my age- but my buddy drives a 73 RR, 4 spd with stock 400. I wonder how the turbo'd 340 would match up to his ?

dodge freak has it rite,pack the cylinders with more pressure,and watch it come apart.if its the real deal you might want to leave it alone,keep it as a survivor car more value.or find some J heads and use the early pistons. what ever you do i would start with a compression test find out where this engine is in its life,if it has any life left.keep it store it put a BB in it

-
Back