Movin' to the Barrio..

-
Thank you so much for your input Small Block. :)

I've decided to take the place (after much thought and conversations with friends and family as well as this thread) and will be giving the landlord a call today if someone hasn't already snatched the place up.

I will need to brush up on my Spanish big time. I can understand it quicker than I can speak it, but I know that most will appeciate my efforts. I tan quick in summer and have been mistaken for being of Mexican or Itailian decent more than once so that may help too.

The kid (he's 21) who's doing all the work on this place lives only a few blocks away and will get a truck from the landlord for his time as he has no tools or transportation but from what I've seen, is really talented.

I think this is going to help a lot of people in the long run and I know the transition for me won't happen overnight. As you say, God works in mysterious ways and maybe he's trying to humble me (He does that alot, lol!) as well as teach me how to help my fellow man in on His terms. It was odd that this gentleman, the landlord, was in a wheelchair due to what appears to be cereble palsy. I have a very good friend of mine whose 8 year old son has very severe case of the same and I am very sympathetic to this condition. We must have talked for an hour and not just about the house.

Thanks again for your input and I'll be sure to use your suggestions. Have a great Sunday and be to have a beer for me if you decided to BBQ!

Well, I've been here for two weeks now and all my neighbors are totally cool. I'm jammin' right now to "Sweating Bullets" by Megadeath to get them all back for two weeks of Mexican Polka, LOL! Prior to that it was "Forclosure of A Dream" hehehehe! Some Pantera "Cowboys From Hell" is coming next.

But truly, all are way cool and everyone's got dogs and pickups. That **** trancends all barriers and starts good conversations. So far I've met the neighbors on the North, South and West sides. All is good and I may have some side work too.

I still have to brush up on my Espanol when visting the liquor store, but they get my drift. The best part is the food. I got enough food from the "Tamale Kitchen" for $16 to last me four days easy, lol! Great food too and the mild chile even makes me sweat. I love hot food. Their tamales are the real deal, wrapped in steamed corn husk. MMmmmmm!

Today I added another outlet on the inside of my server room (yes, I know AC too), re-routed all the Qwest phone lines even though I don't need them (I've been in telecom for 14 years and never paid for land or cell lines and I'm presently a systems engineer for a VOIP provider), ran 7 new CAT5E runs and terminated, built out the basement closet into a server room complete with shelves and lighting, ran coax into all possible TV locations and terminated, ripped out all the crap wire in the basement, AC and phone and began to set up my network.

The kid who has been doing the framing got way too drunk last night and didn't show but that's OK as him and his bro didn't get in my way today. We'll see if he shows on Sunday. Cleaned up a bunch of demo garbage too. He's a good worker but young and stupid in the same way I was at his age. All I can do is try to explain to him how that behavior will hurt him in the long run in a way that doesn't sound like I'm preaching. Maybe I just give a **** too much sometimes. This isn't because I want the basement finished but because I really want to relay my experiences so he doesn't fk up like I did. Oh yeah, he got a DUI on labor day Friday which set things back a bit. I knew it was trouble on Friday when I got home he said "Well, I got to go pick up a bar for my house" and the landlord had just paid him cash, lol!

Well, just thought I'd let you all know what I was up to and why I haven't been around. Since the ex is still freakin' asking for money for utilities, it just may take that much longer until I get everything in order. The ***** is relentless and thank goodness I never married her or lived with her long enough for us to be considered common law. I just wish I had Turbo, my GSD and I do miss helping Mellisa with her homework. The ex would just yell at her, not help her think about the answer, sigh...., Hell, I could have her laughing and learning and the same time. Oh well... Fk it.

Cudachick, if you're reading this, I got a picture for ya. It was me at my prime, lol! No, no nudity but there is some serious mullet going on, lol! I'll get a more recent pic of me and maxi including all the gray for everyone pretty damn soon.

To all of those still awake after reading this Heineken inspired rant, tip one for me if it's after dark, if not, brew a good cup 'o' java and have a drink on me. :)

Joe

Glad you're doing ok.

Yeah I know all about the young and dumb because I had a few DUIs myself. Had to learn the hard way. My dad said "Son... that kind of living will catch up with you some way or another." I said "NAH!" Without going into a big story let's just say it caught up with me big time.

Hey Joe good to hear things are working out at the new digs. Music also transcends all groups of people. You said your dog didn't like your x ,it took me 7 years to figure out why no dogs liked my x.
Sounds like you will fit right in with the neighborhood.
Good luck Bruce

Glad you're doing ok.

Yeah I know all about the young and dumb because I had a few DUIs myself. Had to learn the hard way. My dad said "Son... that kind of living will catch up with you some way or another." I said "NAH!" Without going into a big story let's just say it caught up with me big time.

Thanks Ax.

Yep, my lifestyle caught up with me about 8 years ago. I had to throw down the anchor and bear the brunt of the storm till my my compass worked again. :) I'd hate to see the same thing happen him.

Hey Joe good to hear things are working out at the new digs. Music also transcends all groups of people. You said your dog didn't like your x ,it took me 7 years to figure out why no dogs liked my x.
Sounds like you will fit right in with the neighborhood.
Good luck Bruce

Thanks BW.

Dogs just seem to know..... LOL!

... Cudachick, if you're reading this, I got a picture for ya. It was me at my prime, lol! No, no nudity but there is some serious mullet going on, lol! I'll get a more recent pic of me and maxi including all the gray for everyone pretty damn soon. ...

Can't wait to see it Joe! But as far as I'm concerned, you're STILL in your prime. Like fine wine, some things just get better with time. :-D

Good morning Joe.:wave:
Sounds like your new place is working out real good.
And it is good to hear from you again.:thumbrig:
Keep on that young gun and hope he can see that to much
of anything can be bad.
I just got up for a med and let it get started on me.
I had a road trip yesterday and dropped off to sleep early.
You sound like you know what you are doing with the cables and phone
systems, And enjoy a good Mexican dinner.:cheers:
Give Maxi a good scratch for me and I will talk to you later.
Back to bed I go.:sleepy3:

In my neck of the woods the outdoor lighting is only added for the outdoor cameras. Without cameras the darker the better . We prefer unexpected obstacles, i.e. knee high sticks of rebar sticking out of the ground. Loud horns connected to the first light switch just inside the door and ofcourse the dog.
I've got a boston bull that will bark when nessesary and an alaskan husky that will sneak up like a cat and bite without ever making a sound.
As for that dog pictured above.. Arnold is good, or Gym LOL

Glad to hear you are settling in! That part of has some GREAT food! AS alwsys...let me know if I can help.

Great to hear that you are settling in, Ramcharger.

You'll have that place feeling like home in no time. Now go get a biscuit for Maxi, I know he deserves one :-D.

In my neck of the woods the outdoor lighting is only added for the outdoor cameras. Without cameras the darker the better . We prefer unexpected obstacles, i.e. knee high sticks of rebar sticking out of the ground. Loud horns connected to the first light switch just inside the door and ofcourse the dog.
I've got a boston bull that will bark when nessesary and an alaskan husky that will sneak up like a cat and bite without ever making a sound.

And I thought I might come over one day ..... I might need to think about it again. :-D

Can't wait to see it Joe! But as far as I'm concerned, you're STILL in your prime. Like fine wine, some things just get better with time. :-D

You are far, far too kind. :) Thanks though, I needed that today.

Good morning Joe.:wave:
Sounds like your new place is working out real good.
And it is good to hear from you again.:thumbrig:
Keep on that young gun and hope he can see that to much
of anything can be bad.
I just got up for a med and let it get started on me.
I had a road trip yesterday and dropped off to sleep early.
You sound like you know what you are doing with the cables and phone
systems, And enjoy a good Mexican dinner.:cheers:
Give Maxi a good scratch for me and I will talk to you later.
Back to bed I go.:sleepy3:

Hey Mike! :wave:

Maxi got a scratch behind the ears for ya!

Hey Red!

I see you prefer the steath approach to home security (and so does your Husky). I like the horn and rebar idea, lol! Like you say, dogs are great home security. They're not impossible to fool, but most will just move on to easier pickings.

Glad to hear you are settling in! That part of has some GREAT food! AS alwsys...let me know if I can help.

Thanks Slant! Maybe I'll have small get together once everything is in place.

Great to hear that you are settling in, Ramcharger.

You'll have that place feeling like home in no time. Now go get a biscuit for Maxi, I know he deserves one :-D.

Thanks comaxian!

I'm really looking forward to having kitchen cabinet drawers and doors som etime soon, lol! I'm still living out of boxes until I can get stuff put away. It's tough living in a construction zone but it's coming together nicely and I have seen progress every day.

And I thought I might come over one day ..... I might need thing about it again. :-D

Just don't show up at Red's place unannounced, lol!

-
Back