Moving the firewall 68 Cuda

-

MidTexCuda

Ancient Member
Reaction score
Moving my 1968 Barracuda from the track to the street. The engine let go just before my son was born and now the time and money to go racing just are not there. Now that he is 2 and showing a lot of interest in dad's race car my wheels are spinning to not just repair it but to make it how I always wanted. Like most everyone's car this will be an eternal build. So where to start?
I have kicked around moving the engine back for a long time and for many reasons. So a couple of weekends ago I took the plunge and brought out the saw. I have read a knew this would be a huge task and one that a purest may think I am crazy for but if i comes out how i want it to i think it will look great and be functional.
Step #1
I make two new 2x3 tubes to connect the frame to the door sill. They went in front of the factory unit and under the front roll cage pad to spread the load and hold the car up so it wouldn't sag.
Step #2
started small. I cut the firewall out on the seam to see what the body would do.
Step #3
Removed the wheel well sheet metal leaving the a tab on the vertical and cutting the floor back to the new frame mounts. the welded the floor down to the new frame mount.
Step #4
removed the aluminum dash and all my wiring. the cut all of the metal from beneath the cowl.
Step #5
removed the inner fenders.
Step #6
removed the last motor mount. manual steering box, and cut those mounts off the K member.
Step #7
cut the stock trans cross member out.
Step #8
Moved motor plate mounts back 8" and installed the engine. Im tall so this is as far back as my legs will accept and it puts the headers to close for comfort.

My goal is to make new aluminum panels, channel the cowl 2 inches to clear the carb, remove the glass and reconstruct the dash, install a omi rack, make a custom oil pan, and reinvent the wheel.
Here are some pictures of my progress, more to come.

Attachments

• l.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 298
  • n.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 311
  • k.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 295
  • i.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 300
  • g.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 302
  • e.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 290
  • b.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 315
  • a.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 314
Ahh a real daredevil. That'll make it faster. I have a customers superbee in the shop right now with the engine set back like that. He likes his cars fast too.
Keep posting progress pics as you go for us out here.

Bob
The car is for street cruising not drag racing or street racing.
I am not the master Mopar man but if could smoke 14.5 slick in almost any gear on the street with the engine in the stock location I do not think I will be ripping bumper dragging wheelies with the engine moved back... on the street.
Now if and when I do take the car to the track it very well be prone to pulling the tires.
if that is the case I will can take some hit out of the ladder bars and adjust my four double adjustable shocks. I can also leave a high air pressure in the tires.

ok, i see your point but you will most likely have to do that to keep it from standing up on the street. certainly could be some real fun in a large parking lot!

You may be right if it sticks. My main goal was to challenge myself and do something not that often done. Also the car squatted so much that I wanted to take the strain off the front end.

Got some work done. Mid plate bar and mount in. Went with 1.25 round. Added bonus if I get in a front end wreck I have some safety. Seat mount/ drive shaft loop moved back. Temp trans support installed.
Ordered the rack and pinio for the rear steer and ordered some j and u bends to fix the headers. More pics to come.
Biggest issue to come up is how to get the exhaust pipes out the car and where to put the mufflers

-
Back