Moving to Florida this Weekend

-

66fyssh

Don't Stop Believin'
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Yep, family and I (and Barracuda) are moving to the Florida Panhandle. I got a job at Hurlburt Field Air Force Base in Fort Walton Beach.

The company where I worked was bought in January 2023. All was well until September 23rd, 2023 when everything changed. They had a round of layoffs in mid January 2024, then a second round March 8th that got me.

By the grace of God I found a fantastic opportunity. The bummer is we have to relocate from north Georgia and sell our beautiful home. The other bummer is the price of homes along the coast. I have a feeling I'll be commuting to work, lol.

The great thing is I'll be back working on an Air Force Base after being retired from the Air Force 18 years!!! I toured the Base last week and found a Townhouse we'll live in until we sell our house here. We are leaving here on Saturday and I start work Monday.

I may need Air Conditioning in the Barracuda soon!!

Thanks! The last two weeks have been a whirlwind. Worked sun up to sun down finding a job, getting the house in order, and packing. I got a self storage unit for stuff we won't need right away.

Thing that worried me about layoff is I'm 60 years old and it's not easy finding something. There's no doubt God had his hand on this new position. It's a little less money but also less stress!! But it's something that will help me care for my family.

Sounds like someone is watching out for you! I know I have been watched out for my whole life and I never deserved it.

Anyway,moving is the hardest job anyone can ever do!!!

Maybe at 60 and Fl. you just think you need AC! Suck it up ButterCup and open that vent window!!!

I was laid off for 10 years, had 6 jobs during that time. Lived in my car or van for two of the jobs out of state.
God is always in control and does things for reasons we may not understand for a long time.
We are now in Colorado and love it here back with the same company that laid me off in the first place.
Follow Him and he will show you the way.

1711042112272.jpeg

Last edited:
Some guy smarter than me aid something sorta like this...God Almighty does not lay bad things on us...He does give us the strength to deal with it all (if we as ask).

Back to the subject. But... I never liked Fl. except for the panhandle. It is the "normal part of Fl. !!
Commute a ways! Look at it like this. Gives you a reason to drive a classic to work everyday and being off the coast a ways can be GOOD If a hurricane blows thru!! :poke: :thumbsup: :confederateflag:

Georgia is a beautiful state...I was fortunate to go there when I worked for The William L. Bonnell aluminum extrusion company of Noonan Georgia...And then they closed our division in Indiana and I was standing in your shoes. I really liked aluminum extrusion. Like Mr. Hill said some things happen for the best. Florida is a beautiful state as well. Make the most of it you have a better chance of seeing more Barracudas in Florida!

Sounds like someone is watching out for you! I know I have been watched out for my whole life and I never deserved it.

Anyway,moving is the hardest job anyone can ever do!!!

Maybe at 60 and Fl. you just think you need AC! Suck it up ButterCup and open that vent window!!!

Lol. I'm certainly not as cold blooded as I was when I was raised in Pennsylvania!!

I was laid of for 10 years, had 6 jobs during that time. Lived in my car or van for two of the jobs out of state.
God is always in control and does things for reasons we may not understand for a long time.
We are now in Colorado and love it here back with the same airline that laid me off in the first place.
Follow Him and he will show you the way.

View attachment 1716224749

I'm glad you landed somewhere you like!! God is certainly in control. I like the saying "Let Go...Let God". He found this job for me and my family!!

Georgia is a beautiful state...I was fortunate to go there when I worked for The William L. Bonnell aluminum extrusion company of Noonan Georgia...And then they closed our division in Indiana and I was standing in your shoes. I really liked aluminum extrusion. Like Mr. Hill said some things happen for the best. Florida is a beautiful state as well. Make the most of it you have a better chance of seeing more Barracudas in Florida!
Thanks!

My wifes nephew works in plastic extrusion. He lives in Sandersville Geogia. He likes it and worked his way up. They gave him a chance with a felony on his record and he has done very well.

Thanks! The last two weeks have been a whirlwind. Worked sun up to sun down finding a job, getting the house in order, and packing. I got a self storage unit for stuff we won't need right away.

Thing that worried me about layoff is I'm 60 years old and it's not easy finding something. There's no doubt God had his hand on this new position. It's a little less money but also less stress!! But it's something that will help me care for my family.
I've been fortunate enough that I have only been laid off a couple of times in my 45 years of working. I can certainly relate to the idea of job hunting at 60, but if you have some in demand skill and experience it makes you more valuable.
Good luck with the move and the new job.

Sorry to hear about the layoff and having to sell your home in Georgia. However, finding another job and being able to take care of your family is the most important thing, especially in this economy. Wishing you and your family all the best.

Yep, family and I (and Barracuda) are moving to the Florida Panhandle. I got a job at Hurlburt Field Air Force Base in Fort Walton Beach.

The company where I worked was bought in January 2023. All was well until September 23rd, 2023 when everything changed. They had a round of layoffs in mid January 2024, then a second round March 8th that got me.

By the grace of God I found a fantastic opportunity. The bummer is we have to relocate from north Georgia and sell our beautiful home. The other bummer is the price of homes along the coast. I have a feeling I'll be commuting to work, lol.

The great thing is I'll be back working on an Air Force Base after being retired from the Air Force 18 years!!! I toured the Base last week and found a Townhouse we'll live in until we sell our house here. We are leaving here on Saturday and I start work Monday.

That's a big change of locale! Wish you luck with it!

Thanks ya'll (Don't think they say that in Florida, lol).

We were sorta hoping to get my wife back to Arkansas, but He had other plans!!

As I am an ole SWGa boy, all I can say is you addapted well to the South. You learned to say ya'all, eat Southern food, and most importantly NOT pis off the locals!! and ya never heard banjos in the woods!! :poke: :thumbsup: :confederateflag:

Congrats! Obviously your new employer appreciates your skills and work ethics.
Good luck with the move and sale of your house.:thumbsup:

My brother was stationed at Hurlburt until he got out of the Air Force, he owned a house in Navarre about 5 minutes from the beach. I am sure the area has grown up a lot since then. You could sit on his back patio at night and hear them out on the range practicing.

My brother was stationed at Hurlburt until he got out of the Air Force, he owned a house in Navarre about 5 minutes from the beach. I am sure the area has grown up a lot since then. You could sit on his back patio at night and hear them out on the range practicing.

Cool. We're considering Navarre. We've been down to Fort Walton twice but haven't had a chance to explore yet. It's pretty close to Hurlburt giving a decent commute.

Tuesday and Wednesday of this week they had a sign up on state route 85 warning about 90 minute road closure due to "activity" on Eglin AFB. They do some missile testing there so it could have been that.

A/C......YUP!!

Heading back to florida in the morning to check out an area between Ocala and Tampa. We moved north to western North Carolina last summer from SW Florida. Made it through our first winter in 12 years. They say it was the mildest winter they had in years here ! Tell you what, My wife never liked cold weather and I must have turned into a big wuss baby. Looking to move back to warmer climate just away from the coast to avoid the flooding we got in SW Florida 2 years ago. Bones and joints can't take the cold anymore !

Good luck with the new job and moving !

Heading back to florida in the morning to check out an area between Ocala and Tampa. We moved north to western North Carolina last summer from SW Florida. Made it through our first winter in 12 years. They say it was the mildest winter they had in years here ! Tell you what, My wife never liked cold weather and I must have turned into a big wuss baby. Looking to move back to warmer climate just away from the coast to avoid the flooding we got in SW Florida 2 years ago. Bones and joints can't take the cold anymore !

Good luck with the new job and moving !
Thanks AL. I followed your hurricane thread. You guys got clobbered.

Ive been through the Nantahala gorge a couple of times and I think you guys are close to that. Its beautiful but, yes cold. And this winter was mild.

My wife is a little gun shy since we lived in Biloxi during Hurricane Katrina. We lived about 3/4 mile inland and only had privacy fence blown down and a live oak limb on our roof with minimal damage. But lots of damage everywhere!

Thing now is insurance. We will have a mortgage so we'll need insurance. We'll see how it goes once we get in place and start exploring.

Safe travels and hopefully you'll find your next forever home!!

-
Back