MP .528 solid cam questions

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am now putting the MP .528 solid in my 360. I talked to a cam grinder today and he advised me to install the cam he suggested, installed with a 4* advance mainly because my car is only a street car and give me the power at a lower RPM. The solid cam he suggested is a .510/242*@.050" and 112* center. I was wondering since it is somewhat similar to the MP .528, if I should do the same with it?
Thanks!

Use the .528. It's a great cam.

Degree it in for sure, but yes, 2 to 4 advance will surely help the very low end with your 3.55's. After that it should still pull a high enough rpm as you will need, like easily deep into the 6's. I believe those cams called for a fairly large lash, so piston to valve clearance should not be a issue going from your current cam. But, it never hurts to check. Just make sure your springs/retainers have clearance and are up to snuff, and enjoy the power/revability. :D

P.S. Paul, you didn't mention what rockers you were going with? Just curious what your choice is.

I am going with the .528 cam and so far I am going to use the factory 273 rockers I have with the pushrods and bananna groove shafts. The adjustors are tight and good on them.
I see the lash is .028/.032" I have noticed other grinders having a much tighter lash as little as .010". Why so much lash on the MP cam? is there an advantage of running a tighter lash vs. a loose one?
My springs are already set-up having a dual w/damper. I don't remember the pressures off hand when they were set up, but remember they were a lot higher than what the 280/480 called for.

im running the .528 cam with 273 rockers in my stock 318 with Edelbrock heads and Holley Strip Dominator intake. it was very noisey with the lash set at 28/32 so after running in i tightened the lash to 18/18.
as im runnig a 4000 stall there is no issues with low end power and the motor pulls cleanly to 6800rp with a 600 afb type carb

The cam is in, broke in, and the valves were re-set after it was warmed up after it sat overnight. I took it out and ran it easy for several miles and it ran stronger with a noticable difference. I bring it to a stop sign on a back road and let the redhead have it. shifted into 2nd about 5200, into 3rd at 5800 and a loud BANG!! lights flash alternator gauge is showing discharge and lights are dim. I hurry back home and pop the hood and the alternator had exploded out the back of it. I guess it revved too quickly and blew it up. I had never seen one do that before. Anyone else?

I think its like death when your number is up, its all over for you and you cant do anything, Good luck with new alt.

The alternator just failed. In engineering terms "catastrophically"...lol.
You asked about lash. Lash is set by the manufacturer and it has to do with the cam's lobe profile, take up ramps, etc. Older designs have wider lash. Newer designs stay tighter. My feeling is the ramps are muc hmore aggressive and there is much more control in a tight lash than a loose one. Valve control has become much more important and scienced out in the last 10 years. In terms of the MP - I hated the noise associated with it so I ran mine at .018/.018.

always run mine at .028/.032 a little noisy from what I understand tighter or looser changes your cam timing slightly due to opening valves sooner [tighter] or later [looser]

Good to know that it is OK it tighten the lash. I may tighten them up in a few hundred miles. They are definately noisy.

-
Back