MP Distributor Mechanical Advance Adjustment?

-

scooby67

Reaction score
Thanks to all who responded to my earlier thread on timing. I picked up a new MP dizzy and I need to adjust the mechanical advance to limit the total degrees. I see the 2 Torx head screws through the top plate, but my question is, how exactly do I make the adjustment?? How is that lower plate rotated?? I haven't fiddled with it yet, so I wanted some info before I dive in. Thanks very much.

Like this?

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/elec/29.html

I believe there are some plastic? wedges you can buy, which you stick in the holes to "gauge" how much advance you have

These are for Mallory YH, I don't know if the MP are the same?

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/maa-29014

The destruction sheet:

[ame]http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/maa-29014(2)1.pdf[/ame]

Bear in mind that changing those advance slots only changes the AMOUNT of advance in degrees. To quicken up the RATE of advance, you must play with the springs, IE buy a spring kit

Want to save some scratch?

I thought about this yesterday. If you have a 1-60 drill index, use a drill bit to set the distance limiting the mechanical advance. Got a micrometer just to verify thickness of bit, shank or cutting end. Use the bit the same as those keys.

Thickness of some keys from the mallory kit.
14*: .140"
16*: .155"
18*: .170"

Looks like 2* = ~.015 change.

One person had mentioned that the 18* key actually provided 16* advance. Best to verify the amount with a timing light.

Someone else mentioned microsprings from a local hardware store for the curve speed. Might be something to look at.

.. the spring kit is the way to go.
..i have tried a variety of combinations from 2 pink and all in at 1800 to my current i think brown and purple all in at 2800.
..trying different spring combinations and changing the mechanical advance is a great way to learn.

Want to save some scratch?

I thought about this yesterday. If you have a 1-60 drill index, use a drill bit to set the distance limiting the mechanical advance. Got a micrometer just to verify thickness of bit, shank or cutting end. Use the bit the same as those keys.

Thickness of some keys from the mallory kit.
14*: .140"
16*: .155"
18*: .170"

Looks like 2* = ~.015 change.

One person had mentioned that the 18* key actually provided 16* advance. Best to verify the amount with a timing light.

Someone else mentioned microsprings from a local hardware store for the curve speed. Might be something to look at.

Ha! Wish I'd had this information before spending the scratch on the Mallory kit.

As usual, Crack figggered a workaround.

I have an Accel with that style as well, but it was "close" when I got it, and I haven't messed with it.

I missed an old distributor machine last year. DAMN I want one

Ok, let me simplify my question. After loosening the Torx screws, how do I rotate the slotted plate to actually make the adjustment? I not concerned with springs at the moment to adjust when it comes in. Just the amount of advance given. The bit trick is great, by the way!!

As usual, Crack figggered a workaround.

I have an Accel with that style as well, but it was "close" when I got it, and I haven't messed with it.

I missed an old distributor machine last year. DAMN I want one

They're cool. I had the chance to get one when I lived next door to a retired old school mechanic. He passed away and actually me ALL of his shop equipment. His family was a bunch of low life vultures though and hired an attorney to fight it.....I just backed away without an arguement, because he would have hated that. It was a bad deal.

Ok, let me simplify my question. After loosening the Torx screws, how do I rotate the slotted plate to actually make the adjustment? I not concerned with springs at the moment to adjust when it comes in. Just the amount of advance given. The bit trick is great, by the way!!

Did you read the Mallory destructions I posted? I'd think the MP is similar. Basically, the tabs sticking up move in the slots to make the slots effectively longer/ shorter

Did you read the Mallory destructions I posted? I'd think the MP is similar. Basically, the tabs sticking up move in the slots to make the slots effectively longer/ shorter

Got it!! Thank you!!

-
Back