Mr Norms Paxton Supercharged 340 Demon

-
Nope, just had to re-build or replace absolutely everything in this car......Plus, re-buying stuff that I bought that turned out to be crap when it got here. (Not from FABO). It is a '71 H-Code with original mechanicals and build sheet.

What I have learned in general when repairing/restoring/modifying all brands of cars is it can get away from you no matter what brand. There are alot of items on older GM iron that can cost you a fortune as just like mother Mopar. The main difference is the availability of the parts in general..... Your number for restoring your car doesn't surprise me one bit......

JW

You make a race car out of it? A normal restoration wouldn't cost that much
LOL......Dan, I'm guessing that you've never restored a basket case with a ton of missing parts in the said basket. Once you get in deep, it takes a strong person to cut their losses and stop throwing good money after bad.

LOL......Dan, I'm guessing that you've never restored a basket case with a ton of missing parts in the said basket. Once you get in deep, it takes a strong person to cut their losses and stop throwing good money after bad.
I haven't done one myself but I've done enough parts researching over the years to have a good idea of what it would cost. A friend of mine restored his '65 chevelle and it cost him 25k and he replaced all sheet metal except the roof, deck lid. I understand that it's not cheap to restore a car. I always wanted to fix one up, not for resale but for personal experience and the joy of seeing what I did.

I haven't done one myself but I've done enough parts researching over the years to have a good idea of what it would cost. A friend of mine restored his '65 chevelle and it cost him 25k and he replaced all sheet metal except the roof, deck lid. I understand that it's not cheap to restore a car. I always wanted to fix one up, not for resale but for personal experience and the joy of seeing what I did.
You've 'gotta stop researching and do more buying. :)

Jim Minor out of Minnesota has a 72 one...I sold him a crated NOS hood for his and some NOS emblems...I'm sure his is in better or just as good shape....super picky guy with many more desirable cars...definitely a Real Mopar Guy...who refuses to cut corners...

Anyone that is restoring-rebuilding any kind of classic car with an eye on re selling to make money is in a different category than me.
I re rebuilt-restored an '83 D150 to be my summertime daily driver and a '68 Barracuda to be my hot rod sport around car.
I enjoyed the process of tearing the cars and motors down, figuring out how I was going to put them back together and with what parts.
And now I enjoy driving and using them. I did keep a book of records and receipts for my own uses, but I have never taken the time to add up what I have in them.
Why, because I totally enjoyed the process of restoring these vehicles and today, I totally enjoy the use that I get from them. That does not mean I was ever stupid with the money spent. It means that I built what I wanted within my living budget.
When I get to the point in life that I am done with them, I'll sell them to someone else at a fair price in the going market, with the satisfaction, that the money and time invested permitted me to do what I wanted to do at that point in time in my life.

Anyone that is restoring-rebuilding any kind of classic car with an eye on re selling to make money is in a different category than me.
I re rebuilt-restored an '83 D150 to be my summertime daily driver and a '68 Barracuda to be my hot rod sport around car.
I enjoyed the process of tearing the cars and motors down, figuring out how I was going to put them back together and with what parts.
And now I enjoy driving and using them. I did keep a book of records and receipts for my own uses, but I have never taken the time to add up what I have in them.
Why, because I totally enjoyed the process of restoring these vehicles and today, I totally enjoy the use that I get from them. That does not mean I was ever stupid with the money spent. It means that I built what I wanted within my living budget.
When I get to the point in life that I am done with them, I'll sell them to someone else at a fair price in the going market, with the satisfaction, that the money and time invested permitted me to do what I wanted to do at that point in time in my life.
Very well said. Sir I agree with you 100%. That's how I feel about working on a vehicle too. Build them for your own personal enjoyment and the way you want them to be. I wish that I was a fabricator like my dad was. He built a working steam engine at the age of 12.

-
Back