mrstix 68 Valiant

-

mr.stix

Reaction score
So long story I got this car in a deal with my dad for some work we did together this summer. Basically we took the 360 out of the Valiant and put it in a friends 68 Satellite wagon. As payment for the work I did he gave me this car....which is worth far more then the work I did. He in turn bought a killer 71 pro street Dart. Ok so hopefully I didn't confuse anybody with that story, now about the car.

Its a 68 Valiant Signet that My Dad was running a 360 in. Planning to drop a 440 in it this winter. So far I have the Motor(which is going to get a mild build) 727 trans with reverse valve body and 2500 stall converter, Schumacher mount kit and various other stuff laying around. The car has big bolt pattern brakes all around and an 8 3/4 rear end w/ 355 gears and Yucon axles. The paint and interior is done already which is a big plus for me cause I can concentrate all my money and time on the motor.

Looking to keep this thing pretty simple and stock looking to avoid unwanted attention from the local police and what not. Like the idea of keeping it as close to the grandma car look as possible. Anyway....here are some pictures. If anybody has any useful tips or cool build threads let me know. I'm planning on putting this up on bigblockdart as well. Thanks.

IMG_20111002_124225.jpg

IMG_20111002_173935.jpg

IMG_20111020_173755.jpg

IMG_20111020_173809.jpg

IMG_20111020_173820.jpg

IMG_20111203_120223.jpg

IMG_20111203_120251.jpg

IMG_20111203_120303.jpg

IMG_20111203_120336.jpg

IMG_20111203_120342.jpg

IMG_20111203_120458.jpg

IMG_20111203_120510.jpg

IMG_20111203_120627.jpg

IMG_20111203_120634.jpg

very nice, clean looking car. I would stay with a small block just because of header issues. can you even get a under chassis for it? congrats!!

Very nice, I have wanted one like it for years. I may start looking now.

I just think that the car speaks for itself. whether you like it or not, it's a real head turner. i love postcars, and this is a jem. good luck. postcar.

Great score, you did very well. I Really like the plans you have for it.

Thanks for all the kind words fellas! I will definitely keep up and keep updates coming when I get them. On the list of things to do this weekend is install a new brake master cylinder, fix the driver side door lock and make a better battery shutoff switch lever for outside the car. Next week I'm going to start tearing in to the 440 and see what kind of shape its in. From what I was told it was low mileage so I'm thinking a good refresh and some top end goodies and I'll put it in the car. Only thing I'm worried about it headers. Anyone have any ideas for what headers might work best and which ones to avoid. I would prefer to go block hugger style vs. fender well ones.

wow i help my ol man all the time an i never even got a beer!i gotta have talk to him lol

Thanks for all the kind words fellas! I will definitely keep up and keep updates coming when I get them. On the list of things to do this weekend is install a new brake master cylinder, fix the driver side door lock and make a better battery shutoff switch lever for outside the car. Next week I'm going to start tearing in to the 440 and see what kind of shape its in. From what I was told it was low mileage so I'm thinking a good refresh and some top end goodies and I'll put it in the car. Only thing I'm worried about it headers. Anyone have any ideas for what headers might work best and which ones to avoid. I would prefer to go block hugger style vs. fender well ones.
get the schumaker headers.they are the tri-y very good headers. u don't have to do any cuttin to the inner fenders with a 440 to make them fit. check them out at engine-swaps.com

get the schumaker headers.they are the tri-y very good headers. u don't have to do any cuttin to the inner fenders with a 440 to make them fit. check them out at engine-swaps.com

I agree 100%.
You will never regret it.

Very nice, just picked up a 68 near Chicago that im getting ready for a big block. im leaning to a "B" block to hopefully avoid some of the pit falls you run into with an RB. Ive just about got all i need to finish a cal trac 8 3/4 transplant. ive also got Wilwood disc's for the front end. ill try and post up some pics later today.

Thanks mopar7172 and Dartnut, I have had the Schumacher Tri Y's in mind for a while. Its going to be a tough fit for sure so I'm ready for the fight. How about changing plugs in a 440 a body? Vitamin C, keep me updated on your progress and drop any tips or tricks my way.

mr.stix,
If i could ask a favor, the next time your in the garage and have a few minutes, i need some measurements for some emblems and marker lights. The 68 im working on has a 67 front end, and i need to drill the fenders for the "valiant" emblems and the front amber markers. if its not a pain or to much to ask, i would appreciate it.:thumblef:

Yeah Vitamin c I have 6 days of vacation this week so I can take whatever measurements you need since I plan to spend lots of time with the car.. I will have pics of the motor up by satruday and hopefully a better idea of what I'm going too need too finish the project

great! I purchased the valiant emblems from ebay but dont have the amber round markers yet. I really dont want to start drilling holes until im sure where they go. I see your lucky, your car has all the trim that is hard to come by. Mine was painted at one time and most of the trim has been lost. Ive been picking up hard to come by parts from members here.

Well I got around to heading over to and getting the motor torn apart and ready for the machine shop. My Dad picked up a 440 out of a 67 Imperial a while back and he said I could use it for my build. We started taking it apart at about 8 this morning and had it down to the bare block by lunch time. All in all it was in great shape considering its age and how bad it looked on the outside. Looked at the casting numbers on the heads and looks like they are 516 heads. Did some research and I hear they aren't too bad a place too start with the addition of some bigger exhaust valves, hardened seats and a healthy port and polish. Anybody have any experience with using these heads? I figure if I have the heads already and I'm going to do a port and polish and all that good stuff anyway its already better than picking up some 915's cause I would have to the same stuff anyway. Also I will put some pictures of it up tomorrow but the cam gear on the timing set was make out of plastic with a metal core and it has more than a few teeth missing, thought it was funny seeing plastic in a 440. Here are some crappy pictures off my cellphone I took during the tear down today.
IMG_20111210_163452.jpg

IMG_20111212_085607.jpg

IMG_20111212_085607.jpg

IMG_20111212_085619.jpg

IMG_20111212_085632.jpg

IMG_20111212_092042.jpg

IMG_20111212_092354.jpg

IMG_20111212_093505.jpg

IMG_20111212_095449.jpg

IMG_20111212_095454.jpg

IMG_20111212_120534.jpg

The block goes off to get prepped tomorrow morning. Got it hot tanked, magnafluxed, new brass soft plugs, measured all surfaces, and got new cam bearings installed. I'll post pics when I get it back next week. Cant wait too see it cleaned up and all shiny and fresh looking. Anyway, I grabbed a quick picture of the cam gear from the timing set. Its plastic cap on a smaller metal gear. Some of the teeth are chipped off from the obvious lack of strength of plastic. Any suggestions on new timing gear sets?
IMG_20111213_221646.jpg

No real news or progress at the moment. Decided to go with a different block and use the 67 block for some stuff down the road. The 67 block lacked some external webbing on the sides that make them a bit weaker than blocks 68 and up. A friend and engine builder tipped me off to that fact as well as the machine shop that's doing all the prep work. Also thinking of going with a different set of heads also as the 516 heads are a pain to get power out of. Any suggestions for something better would be appreciated. Other than that I'm working a bit on my battery cut off switch when I have free moments.

Very nice car , it would handle alot better with a small block and if you want to keep the cops off your tail , throw some steeleies on there , nice sleeper

mr.stix,
By chance did you get a minute to measure the front fender valiant emblems and marker lights? no problem if you havent, i understand time in the garage is hard to come by.

Hey FABO folks. I finally have time to get on here and post a bit about progress on the Valiant. Well plans for a 440 have come and gone and I have decided to make use of a 68 318 that has been sitting around the shop for a year. It made sense keeping the car small block an not trying too jam a 440 in there. Anyway I scared up some headers and a intake and looking too put a decient cam in it for the summer. Then come winter I'll probally pull the motor and but a 360 in there.

No other progress except I snagged a 67 grill and mocked it up, not realizing I needed 67 fenders and lower filler panell. So I think I'll sell it and put the stock grill back in it.
IMG_20120331_153942.jpg

IMG_20120331_155818.jpg

IMG_20120331_155757.jpg

The picture kinda distorts the middle section for some reason but it is straight.

I also was toying with the idea of putting a tach on the top of the dash also. Took a picture of it kinda debaiting where too put it. I want it in view so I dont have too look around for it. Let me know what you guys think.
IMG_20120204_125052.jpg

Finally some pictures of my Dads Dart at a local car show. My girls decided to jump in the picture. Getting them started when there young.
IMG_20120317_180605.jpg

Oh yeah and for Vitaman C, really sorry I didn't get a chance to get those measurements over too you about the marker lights. But I see a fellow Valiant owner got those over too you on your build thread. Cheers!

-
Back