MSD 5A - looking for info

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Picked up a new in the box MSD 5A at a swap meet. Guy bought the old stock from a long defunct speed shop. The box has the old MSD logo on it. Anybody have any idea when these were made/sold? Anybody using one, or have a copy of the instructions for installation or use? I'll post a photo tomorrow. I'm interested in setting up one of my Darts with all visible speed equipment consistent with the 1970-75 period

Their web site used to have all the wiring diagrams on it, probably still does, google would be a good source also.

I put one on a chevy truck that still had points on it.smoothed it right out.they wont work on a mag pickup dist..they sold them in the eighties and ninties...

I have a 5c, it has a Chrysler 5 pin connector, and it is the same as a Mopar electronic control box. I also have a 6c with 5 pin connector. The 5c is about 1/4 the weight of the 6c, and is wired differently. How many wires are on the 6a? The 5c was around in the mid 70s to the mid 80s. Maybe the 5a had the same production period? I had a friend check these 2 MSD boxes out last month on his distributor machine, and they worked as they should. I found both diagrams on the internet.

-
Back