MSD 6A help

-

74 Slant Six

Reaction score
Just installed a MSD 6A unit and Blaster 2 coil on my 74 Duster with a 225 Slant Six motor. The instructions state that you no longer need the ballast resistor. After hooking up the system it would only run with the ballast hooked up. When I tried with the ballast unhooked it started but would die right away. Has anyone else had this issue and how did you resolve it?

Thanks,

Bill

When I called MSD they told me to hook the wires together. It has been like this for years with no problem. You can't just unhook the wires from the resistor. They have to be connected.

Fred B

msd is correct...you do not need the ballast resistor..

but you need to get start and run side of the ignition hooked up to the msd...

take the two wires from the ballast resistor connect them together then connect the msd red wire to it....now it will have both start and run

msd is correct...you do not need the ballast resistor..

but you need to get start and run side of the ignition hooked up to the msd...

take the two wires from the ballast resistor connect them together then connect the msd red wire to it....now it will have both start and run
The red MSD wire I connected to the original coil source per the instructions. So I should connect both sides of the resistor toghether and then to the red wire from the MSD?

Bill

maybe it is orange...LOL.....i just installed one a few days ago...

if its ran through the ballast resistor will that affect it in anyway? when i got my car thats hoe it was hooked up. i have re-ran all the wires so it looks cleaner, but had the same issure and just left it as is.

The little red wire is an on signal. A ballast resistor makes for a weaker signal. In some cars it won't run. But if it's running OK now, you probably don't have to worry.

Thanks for all of the replies I have been out enjoying the beautiful sunshine. The Duster is running great so I will leave it the way it is.

Thanks,

Bill

-
Back