MSD 8987 Start and Step trouble wont start .

-

jimjimjimmy

lobsterman
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just tried hooking up a new MSD start and step to my nitrous setup which consists of a N.E progressive controller a MSD window switch which worked good so i decided to add a start and step . I carefully hooked it all up per instructions now i have a no start condition , anyone else have this problem . I checked and rechecked the wiring 10 times and it all seems right . any ideas ?

ok i done a few tests and i have no spark coming from the coil . Iwas thinking maybe a shielding problem , would that cause a no spark condition ? i was thinking it would cause maybe an erratic spark . i can't find anything on troubleshooting this piece .

Can you detail the hook up on these? I'm not at all familiar. Or at least a link to the MSD destructions

Also "the usual" culprit is not getting the ballast properly bypassed so that you have power in "start" to the system.

Some sort of RFI / shielding problem normally will cause things like timing malfunction, missing, or backfiring, and not complete loss of spark

its simple to wire in . when i un hook the s and s and go back to the 6al it fires up

is there a way i can test the white trigger wire on the 6al ? maybe with a test light will the light go on and off if it's triggering ? my distributor is a msd mag pickup

Last edited:
For anyone interested i was talking to the MSD tech and he guided me through a series of tests and we concluded that the new start and step box was at fault . I bought it over a year ago through summit and i gave them a call and they will replace it for me although the warranty has expired . Hats off to Summit for being a great standup company .

-
Back