MSD Blaster 2 Coil question

-

Gandy Dancer

Reaction score
Hello FABO - I was reading the installation instructions for the Mopar Electronic Ignition kit which I am installing for a 318. The instructions state not to use an MSD manufactured (c-d) coil. Does anyone know why they recommend
this, and if I should resort to another type of coil. Or any recommendations on a good coil for this system.
Thanks!!!!

We're going with a blaster 2 on our 71 Valiant that we're getting together with stock electronic ignition...

If not, we'll switch to an Accel...

Probably to best match the ECU with the turns ratio and resistances. Racing oriented coils are often better at higher rpm but sacrifice at lower rpm. Other coils are optimized for CD ignitions instead of inductive ones. You could try to ask MP tech line what the specs are and then find a coil to match. Good luck getting an answer from MP (I never had any).

If you look in the Engine Book, the Chapter on Ignition lists the recommended coils and resistors for a whole bunch of P-part ECUs. IF the part number goes back to when that bulletin came out, you will have an answer.

edit: Added the "Book"

Last edited:
Thanks for the information!! It sounds like I may be able to move forward with blaster2. Mattax I will also take look in the engine chapter as well.

Thanks!

The coil used should match the type of electronic ignition you're using. I've mismatched coils on my Ford race engine with a Pertronix ignitor and the results were a burned up module in the distributor. And one of the coils that burned it up was a Blaster 2. As Mattax said, match the coil to the ignition system you're using.

Just saw I forgot to type "Book". This is in the "Speed Secrets" or Direct Connection Performance Book sold by Mopar Performance.
Looking at my copy now. They have p-part coils by part number (IIRC those were the big Accel super coil) and "production" as suitable to use with "all orange or chrome" ECUs along with recommended ballast resistors by p/n and ohms. See if you can find anything more current since your ECU is newer and may be different.

I also took a look at the instructions which came with my kit (which is an old version) and nothing about coils there.

FWIW. From the MSD catalog (not sure of the year, past 10 years maybe)
Blaster 2, p/n 8202:
Turns Ratio 100:1
Primary resistance 0.7 Ohms
Secondary resistance 4.7 K Ohms

According to the 1968 Plymouth FSM, a typical original coil would have primary resistance around 1.2 Ohms and Secondary around 11 K-Ohms.

The MSD 8202 will have an estimated peak current of 7.4A based on a typical ballast resistor of 1.2 Ohms. The standard coil would have a peak current of 5.8A, so the increase of current for the blaster is about 28%. The 8202 also has about 20% greater inductance. Since the stored energy increases as the current squared, times the inductance, the 8202, has the potential of 2x the spark energy, excluding losses.

The reason for not using the coil is the additional stress on the output transistor of box, due to both peak current and greater peak voltage due to additional inductive kick. Results may vary, a car with aged wiring and crusty bulkhead connectors may never reach the peak current due to voltage drop losses, and box may survive. My experience in working with electronics is great reliability when keeping within component specifications. Exceeding maximum specifications leads to failure.

-
Back