msd box to coil question

-

shiifty_dart

Reaction score
i just got my msd box and it says to hook the coil wires to the coil without running a ballast resistor it says that it will work with stock mopar igntion does this sound ok? Ive heard that running without a ballast will fry the coil so what to do or should I buy the msd coil? thanks joren

I have the 6AL box driving a Blaster coil with out the ballast resistor. The MSD box does not need an external current limiter. The stock coil will not draw as much current and will produce a lower voltage to the plugs. It should work for a while. When it goes upgrade to the better coil, you will get a hotter spark. I always carry a spare in the trunk for any kind of road trip.

I have the 6AL box driving a Blaster coil with out the ballast resistor. The MSD box does not need an external current limiter. The stock coil will not draw as much current and will produce a lower voltage to the plugs. It should work for a while. When it goes upgrade to the better coil, you will get a hotter spark. I always carry a spare in the trunk for any kind of road trip.

I agree with cuda69. I have a 6al with a blaster 3 coil no resistor, works great. My buddy has the same set up with a resistor, but he doesn't need it. I noticed no resistor in the directions.

B

It does show an option for running a resistor on the street fire CDI, they show it if you have run-on or useing a trigger tach, this will cut voltage down. I've never run a ballast with my MSDs, it gets its voltage/power from the battery & controls it from there, the stock coils will work fine, i've got a blaster-2, it also would never hurts running a relay to keep voltage steady & prevent voltage spikes, alot of people just run off the battery with now relay, i also found out about hooking up the dist. wires (voilet/green), MSD tech said to acheive the highest "timing" reading is the currect polarity.

You do not run a ballast with a 6al box, you do with some of the older MSD boxes but not suppose to with the 6al. I would upgrade the coil though, I don't know how long a stock coil will last, it's going to restrict MSD box from it's full capability.

OK I have the streetfighter box and an eletronic dist. so I will pick up the msd coil this weekend I read about the run on and installing the ballast do I run the relay on the power cable side and can I put in fuseable links between the box and relay?

here is what I am thinking about
msd2.jpg

OK I have the streetfighter box and an eletronic dist. so I will pick up the msd coil this weekend I read about the run on and installing the ballast do I run the relay on the power cable side and can I put in fuseable links between the box and relay?

The relay is the fuseable link more or less, so you shouldn't need a fuse/link, i wouldn't worry about running a ballast unless you have problems, i'm not going to use one, i'm not sure which wire goes where on the colors from the relay, so get a wireing diagram for one, there is normally 4 wires, a green/orange/red & black, sometimes a yellow.

The relay is the fuseable link more or less, so you shouldn't need a fuse/link, i wouldn't worry about running a ballast unless you have problems, i'm not going to use one, i'm not sure which wire goes where on the colors from the relay, so get a wireing diagram for one, there is normally 4 wires, a green/orange/red & black, sometimes a yellow.

No, the relay is not the fueable link. The diagraghm you have is not correct, the battery cable should supply power to the relay and starter, the fuseable link wire supplies the cars power from that point on.

Connect the main power for the MSD box dirrectly to the battery cable side of the relay, the box has a built in fuse/relay. The switch wire for the box goes to the old possitive wire for the coil, just make sure you make a short bypass wire to replace the ballast.

-
Back