MSD ignition

-

no1newb

Reaction score
ok, i have the mopar electronic ignition, but I was thinking of switching to MSD. I just have a few questions first.
1. What is the Difference between the 6A and the 6AL?
2. do i need to swap my distributor for a MSD distributor when i install it.
3. How big of a difference in reliability and power is there?

this is going to be for a mostly daily driver car.

1. rev limiter on the L
2. no
3. not anything you are going to get a seat of the pants difference out of but will help.

"L" is for built in rev limiter. You can run a MSD unit with a Mopar distributor.

Chuck

I installed a 6al-2 Dont know what the dash 2 means guesing just newer 6al, and what I noticed right away was the quick fire ups when cold and little better when warm. I would say theres a little better throttle response but like camd64 said not gona be "seat of your pant thing". I know I certainly don't regret installing it. I went little further and picked up a MSD Dizzy And Im thinking theres a little there also cause of adjustabilty, Im still trying to find the sweet spot. D

hi newb, i went for years pissin around with mopar boxes,ballast resistors, all poo, bought secondhand msd 6a fitting is a piece of cake,i even run a single point distributor and it runs like a dream, rev liniter? lighten up the pressure on your right foot!!! mopar orange box? never again! there should be a wiring diagram on back of unit, failing that i will post one!

You will like it Its a good piece. I had an Amp meter burn down and the MSD never missed a beat got me home I was scared I may heve hurt it cause of the over charge which burnt alot of stuff(Dash harness) aparently they are equiped with something that protects them from electricle problems. Like Cudaboy said you wont look back had problems with "Orange boxes" My self. Its kind like reading posts about Points to Electronic Ignition why would you run points And why wouldnt you run MSD. Had guy ask me why I didnt run a MSD Dizzy after I told him I had my Mopar one over hauled I look back now and agree. Very easy to wire Btw D

i am still running a points dizzy however there is no "load" on the points as they are simply being used as a trigger mechanism for the msd and IF the msd ever dies??? hook up a 12v to dizzy and get me home!:cheers:

-
Back