MSD or Mallory?

-

BoredandStroked

Reaction score
I was wondering which is best for a street strip application running around 500 hp and reving up to 7000-7500. I would like to have a rev limiter though so that is a lil concern.

MSD.... hands down.....plus they have all kinds of options too..... if your running a auto tranny use their " two step " along with the ignition box , it sets your launch rpm as well , my msd 6al box is 6 yrs old , never had a problem with it ...

if it were 1971, then Mallory. But were in 2006, its MSD or bust. Mallory does not have consistency like MSD.

Ok so MSD for the coil, ignition box and distributor? One of the reasons I was thinking MSD was b/c of the 6AL Box too so give me some heads up on it. "Two step" I have heard but never really had the time to learn so give me some heads up on that to as well and yes I am running a automatic transmission. 727 to be exact

Ok guys you say MSD is it but you haven't given any technical reasons why. Lets here it. 68gts340 you mention MSD has all kinds of options. Mallory has many of these options as standard features. Check them out and you'll see. Redfastback what do you mean Mallory does not have consistency? Do you mean in performance or reliability? Guys I'm not defending Mallory at all I just see your defending MSD and putting down Mallory without really explaining why and I'm also looking at buying a ignition system and have read all the features of both and actually Mallory's system looks better but I'd really love to know if their junk so I wouldn't buy it but just saying "MSD is it" just isn't good enough. I want to here a technical reason why.

I have a 6AL MSD on my Chevelle SS,It has been on there for 6 years,never has given a problem,also has rev limiter chips to set your RPM to your liking so you don't blow crap up.I have a 5500 chip and it works great so far I have not torn anything up! LOL True that Mallory has been around a long time but they have not quite kept up with the competition.In real drag racing cars,Nascar the majority run MSD! Why! because it is a better proven product. Force,Berienstien,Warrenn Johnson and many many others use MSD! They use it for a reason.I am also installing a 7AL system on my Blue 69 Dart 340 Street/Strip car and also a 6AL on my Black 1969 Dart 340 Street car.Why ! BECAUSE I AM SOLD ON MSD ALL THE WAY! The only bad thing about MSD is don't get schocked by it because it HURTS REALLY BAD! My Soninlaw was schocked by the one on the Chevelle SS and it knocked him back about 8' from the car,he had tears in his eyes! :thumblef:

Bobby

after being around my buddys and their shops and how many comebacks they had on bad unilite dist, promaster coils, etc. as compared to msd blaster coils and 6a and 6al boxes, I saw what the level of consistency of a quality product. it was at least 6 to 1 on the comebacks. secondly, 69340dart is right, nhra, nascar, all run msd. i know first hand about the shock as well. i was holding the coil to dist wire in my buddys shop when his mechanic tried to start the car(he was told not to turn the key). i was electrocuted up my left arm, across my chest and out my other arm and it hurt for 2-3 days after. there are better ways to test an msd!

try to explain a little more for you. i use to run mallory s also , the last one i used was a rev pole, in a 426 wedge, the thing was ok for the first coyple years, after that it was a question every day at the track, got spark today? to tell you the truth if summit and jegs didnt sell malory , no body would even consider them, they are just not as up to date ..by the way i do still have a mallory in my boat, its hard to get parts for for one thing, secondly ,it seems to always need parts. I would even go as far to say that i would run a crane unit befor I spent money on another mallory part.
as for the two step...it plugs into the 6al box ,the purpose for it is to limit your launch rpm. you can use it with a line loc or a trans brake, it holds the motor to a adjustable rpm to launch from the line. bracket racing is all about running the same E.T. every time, using a two step helps launch your car the same every time by eliminating human error...
like the rest of the guys said, the msd stuff is of great quality, they are more than willing to help you out over the phone, and they will try their best to keep us happy.
that alone speeks volumes about them.
as for the spark , it will knock you on your ***, be carefull, we even have a special club around here for the guys that get jolted twice or more ... "knuckle head racing ' for those who dont learn the first time.......named after the lumps on the back of your head after smackin the hood.....

-
Back