msd or mopar hei ?

-

OiiiiiiO

Reaction score
totally confused, i`m looking for info on the msd products. right now i have the chrysler after market ignition (chrome box) on my 440 that we have done up. eddy`s, big cans, crane roller etc.etc. once in a while, down the track. i`ve had several people mention to me that i`m better off with this set up than msd. i was all prepared to start buying the msd parts and now what? well, i decided to do the best thing i know and through out to you guys. i`m sure someone in this family nows best. help,please and thanks

chrysler ingnition set up you have is very dependable and is a great choice, if it was myself i think i'd stay with what you have if its not misfiring or not detnating then i'd consider a change but sounds like your not having no problem also side i got a real good friend who's running same type of set up in a pick with a race 440 were talking 7200 rpm and not missing a beat the only thing he did was put a hotter spark box thats it and he races evry weekend with no probs

Well, ...actually, ...it's true.

I have a few freinds that have told me they have seen not just no gain, but absoultely zero gain with a MSD over the chrome box.

The MSD is a fine product (For the most part, bar my luck.) and does it's job well. Below 3000 RPM's, is where you'll fine the biggest bennifit to running one. After 3,000 RPM's, there is not enough physical time to multi spark the plug. The plugs fires only once for what MSD claims is 20*'s of crank rotation I believe.
The MSD is good for street car looking for milage and light hi performance useage. (I prefer the Jacobs over the MSD by far for mileage.)

I run the Chrysler Chrome box on a constant. It delivers a hot spark and keeps the plugs clean. One would think the chrome box sticks because at low RPM's, it is not a multi strike ignition fireing alot to completely burn the air and fuel like a MSD would. But if the engine is built up, your not really doing jack under 3000 RPM's anyway except idle and moving the car around.

Save the money and hassles. Use the Chrome box. If your engine is a built up race engine or heavy street hitter, the Gold box is a mean one. Cheaper as well.

Ughhhhhh, now why didn't I post that.
I run one of Don's boxs and it is excellent.
But he does have a running chrome box now.

My vote is for the MSD...I run a 6AL box, Blaster coil and their billet dist. I love it and has performed flawlessly for 5 years now.

its all personal preference if you ask me... it its running and not giving you any issues then why fix something that isn't broke.... i'm running the msd digital 6 box and really like it along with the msd dist. wich is allot easier to tune my advance curve...

the one thing i really like about msd distributors is that you can change the centrifugal curve by changing a bushing, and how fast it comes in by changing the springs. a very modular system. when you get into needing spark retard, 2 steps, boost control, go with msd. i have no doubt that don does a great job with the chrysler style boxes and distributors, i just prefer msd. you make the call. i just figured you need to hear from both sides of the fence before you make the decision.

Can't wrong with either MSD or FBO. Rumble broke it down nicely. Mopar even sells MSD now. But what I've seen and read, you should talk to those guys at FBO.

Keep it “stock” and carry a spare. (Or at least know that you can get one).
I got stranded with an MSD. It was in heat/intermittent problem.
MSD did send me a replacement.
But since I already had the money invested, I wired a Chrysler box in for back up with a terminal strip if I need to change the wires over because the MSD acted up.
Once bitten, twice shy.

adriver;

You aint kidding. Getting stranded is the worst. I had such super terrible luck with the MSD box's I was afraid to remove my stock parts. So I ended up removing the MSD for good.

No more to ignition system cars for me.

I mean weird stuff happens.
I had an almost new orange box flat out die on me just out of my driveway.
Sorry, no warranty on “performance” parts says the dealer.
But the junkyard orange box I am running in that car is going many years and coast-to-coast trips later.
But for the price of carrying a spare box ,stock is the way to go. (more junk yard stuff)
That is unless you have the need for mega joules in some monster compression motor and you are going to trailer the car, I guess

I had 1 orange box failure. Sold to me by summit racing, they exchanged no problems.

I've run msd ignitions on my past 3 cars,not one single problem to speak of,can't say that for any mopar ignition i might have had in the past..

Oh no, we are going to start this one again. Guys lets keep it wrapped up with some will have problems with MSD (Rumble) and some of us will have problems with stock ignitions (Me). I honestly think it is a matter of what does the car want! We all know that they have a mind of their own. You won't know til you try something if your car will like it or not. It seems you can ask 100 people and you will get 20 different responses about what to use and why and what not to use and why.

Oh no, we are going to start this one again. Guys lets keep it wrapped up with some will have problems with MSD (Rumble) and some of us will have problems with stock ignitions (Me). I honestly think it is a matter of what does the car want! We all know that they have a mind of their own. You won't know til you try something if your car will like it or not. It seems you can ask 100 people and you will get 20 different responses about what to use and why and what not to use and why.

I should have known better. Of course every one has a story.
And I should have known that people get adamant about their “opinions”.
If that is problem, my bad.
The person was asking for help.
“I hate to use personal experience, but it is the only kind I have”.
I now realize this must be a recurring topic.
Perhaps it should just be archived and all further inquires referenced to it so we wouldn’t have to talk about it anymore?
Well, that might not work, since change is constant.

Now, you may think it is a matter of “what the car wants”
But what I read was the person wanted to know if “..I’m better off”.
He did not ask about the performance of his car. (Though perhaps inferred)
And since it appears that track use was on the bottom of his list (though not necessarily others'), it seemed to me that planning for the unplanned would be prudent.
Cost verses benefits is prudent in all phases of life.

I ran an MSD setup for one month and got stranded in the parking lot at work with a burnt up box, installed a mopar electronic conversion with an orange box and have not had a lick of trouble for 2 years......I also had trouble with the run on condition they speak of in the MSD manual. I had to put in a cut off to the unit to prevent run on after the key was turned off. I don't think I wired it up incorrectly but, It did burn up and I never returned it for failure analysis. It smelled pretty burnt to me:) I vote for the mopar stuff with a chrome box for higher revs if needed.

i think i might go ahead and see how that FBO system works out. only i might have to get a new cap and rotor. my whole car, engine and all are going to be red and black....and those are blue

Eric, first off I still love your avitar! That would be a good choice for you. You won't hear me talk too much about this one is better than that as I had said earlier that some people have better luck with one and none with another. I have used both the stock and the MSD for many moons now and have personally had better luck with MSD. The FBO system has been proven to work well and you should be happy with it.

good deal, my avatar left for a while, but its back again and getting more comments. I do have a better picture of these girls :)

i think i might go ahead and see how that FBO system works out. only i might have to get a new cap and rotor. my whole car, engine and all are going to be red and black....and those are blue

fyi- i ordered the FBO a688 kit. 5pc.- box,coil,cap,rotor&bal.resis. 130.00+s&h (wish me luck and same to you)

yup, i ordered mine too.

sorry to jack your thread, but you asked for it.

Adam, please delete this post and not me if you find it unfitting for the FABO page.

just givin em' what they want

n508775327_568210_330.jpg

(thank heaven, for little girls) old song, but i know what he meant! and thank you, mopar 1974

-
Back