MSD6AL and stock distributor timing issues

-

duster360

Reaction score
Engine is a small block. The ignition consists of an MSD6AL box and a stock mopar distributor, with a total timing limiter plate. I have the initial set around 18* to 20* ( idle is erractic so it's hard to get a good reading ). The total timing is at 34*. The vacuum advance is not hooked up and the carb ports are all plugged. I have just a basic timing light with no knobs to turn. I can point the light at the balancer and can see around 18 degrees of initial at around 800 rpm. When I start to rev the engine up slowly the timing advances and goes up to around the 34* I have it limited and then the timing marks dissappear before the tachometer can reach 3000 rpm. The timing light is still flashing but not at the degree marks. My timing marks go up to 50* on the balancer. I am no expert at this, but know enough I can work through it with a little help.

Borrow another light first to see if that's your problem. Someone else will chime in for you.

I never see the 50* mark. When it hits around the 34* mark all the timing goes off the chart. All I see is fluctuation else where on the balancer.

you could have a distro problem, or the MSD might be "false triggering" OR the timing light might be screwin' with you. What you want is an "old school" non dial up light.

What does the spark look like on the MSD? If you got a good light, you'll SEE 6 little hits off the MSD, and after 3000, it is supposed to drop to 1 fat hit (timing light flash)

here is from MSD..."Autotronic Controls Corporation (makers of the MSD ignition systems) recognized this problem and began to test a rather large number of available timing lights. Through this testing, they decided to develop their own timing light (P/N 8990). Additionally, this testing also revealed that an older model Sears Craftsman Timing Light (P/N A-2134) was considered very reliable and accurate. Both lights are stable and accurate from zero to 8,000 RPM and because of this, they are well suited to a modified (as in “high performance super rod”) application"

The timing light I have is Non dial. Just a basic light. I also have an old school chrome sears craftsman light I may drag out. I melted the latch that holds it onto the plug wire but I could probably make it work.

What does the spark look like on the MSD? If you got a good light, you'll SEE 6 little hits off the MSD, and after 3000, it is supposed to drop to 1 fat hit (timing light flash)

here is from MSD..."Autotronic Controls Corporation (makers of the MSD ignition systems) recognized this problem and began to test a rather large number of available timing lights. Through this testing, they decided to develop their own timing light (P/N 8990). Additionally, this testing also revealed that an older model Sears Craftsman Timing Light (P/N A-2134) was considered very reliable and accurate. Both lights are stable and accurate from zero to 8,000 RPM and because of this, they are well suited to a modified (as in “high performance super rod”) application"

It is definitely throwing a heck of a nice blue spark.

-
Back