MSD6AL box compatible Distributors

-

340inabbody

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Are most electronic distributors compatible with the MSD boxes? I see many with 2 wire outputs.

Currently running with MSD 6AL with an MSD Billet (now Im broke lol).

I am contemplating buying one, but I have no idea what kind of curve I’ll need until I start doing it myself looking for something inexpensive that will give me decent reliability. I’m just wondering about the compatibility. I’m planning to do my own curving based on my needs.

I run an OEM electronic that I've recurved with an analog 6al. The mallory style mopar that summit sells are easy to setup.

? Anyone have any experience with the Proform units?
I have one in the avatar's 408 with an MSD 6AL box. Other than having to set the .008" reluctant gap when new (it was way too wide!), it has been fine. 22 degrees mech advance - I'm at 14 deg at 1000 rpm and 36 total. Vacuum advance not being used but that's about to change.

The MSD 6X box is designed to work with all the popular magnetic trigger p/up dists.

? Anyone have any experience with the Proform units?

Not 100% sure on the pro form stuff but I’ve had my hands on a Speedmaster and it was pretty nice.

The new MSD stuff is coming with advance weights made from powdered metal or something and you can’t bend them without cracking.

The SM distributor has was looks like real steel weights. Sounds trivial but it’s not.

There are some chicom stuff out there that is put together and it’s designed to be run as is, as in you can’t change the curve.

Stay away from that junk. That would be no different than buying a carb that you can’t change the jets.

How ridiculous is that?

So pass on garbage like that.

I have one in the avatar's 408 with an MSD 6AL box. Other than having to set the .008" reluctant gap when new (it was way too wide!), it has been fine. 22 degrees mech advance - I'm at 14 deg at 1000 rpm and 36 total. Vacuum advance not being used but that's about to change.
In case anyone is curious, this is how the Proform distributor looks on my 408:
RPM ADVANCE (all mech/no VA)
1000. 14
1500. 27
2000. 30
2500. 32
3000. 34
3500+ 36

Since I footbrake to 2000 at the starting line, I must be at about the 30 degree mark. The conv flashes to 5000 so you can see I'm well advanced while the engine speed flashes up there. Spark plug reads say the spark is about right hence why I haven't turned it down to 34 degree max from the 36 it has.

In case anyone is curious, this is how the Proform distributor looks on my 408:
RPM ADVANCE (all mech/no VA)
1000. 14
1500. 27
2000. 30
2500. 32
3000. 34
3500+ 36

Since I footbrake to 2000 at the starting line, I must be at about the 30 degree mark. The conv flashes to 5000 so you can see I'm well advanced while the engine speed flashes up there. Spark plug reads say the spark is about right hence why I haven't turned it down to 34 degree max from the 36 it has.

Just looking at your curve. What is your shift rpm or better yet, do you know where your torque peaks???

Edit, if you are flashing to 5k and you have a curve (all done by the time you hit the converter though) you may want to delay the start of the curve a bit.

I’d still like to know what your shift rpm is and if you know where peak torque is.

I shift at 6100-6200 and trap about the same (1/4 mile, 4.10 gear, 28" slick, weight unknown guessed at 3350 with driver, [email protected] pers best).

Dyno data....long story and don't want to hijack the OP's thread. Only broke engine in on dyno but got very limited data for fun. Also got several other 408 full data sets run right around mine and full build content for them. Knowing content and numbers, actually fairly easy to spot the data in for mine. Likely torque peaks around 4600-4700 and power peaks about 5700-5800. Have shifted it as high as 6700 and it marginally slows down confirming the lower power peak rpm. (8" ATI Treemaster converter: Was supposed to flash to 4700 when I ordered it. I think engine makes more torque than I expected/communicated when I ordered hence the 5000 flash stall.)

I was just posting the mech advance curve in case anyone was considering the Proform #66990 distributor and wanted to know what they do.

Last edited:
-
Back