muffler choices

-
The 3 quitest mufflers I have ever run are;

Thrush , cheap units. They cost me about $17 a few years ago.
Hooker Aero Chambers, $50 a pop.
Summit racings @ 2-1/2 inchs. They came with the exhaust kit.

For cruiseing the quite hood, call summit. On acceleration, you'll not be disapointed.

So what you're saying is that for cruising around or idling they are quiet but when you step down on the loud pedal they get loud? That would be great.

If you're looking to keep the dead..dead, then Magnaflows aren't what you want. They have a nice sound at idle... but punch it and the dead will be knocking at your door:)

Had a set and know that for a fact!

That's cool!!!

CSX,
You want mufflers that work and are nice sounding and flow well and sound way cool with an X? I'd avoid any chambered mufflers (relatively high sound level) and they flow not so well.
Instead, look at the Goerlich XLERATOR X118. They will flow more than most anything, be quieter than most anything but the Dynomax SuperTurbo and at 18", they are a direct fit on A-Bodies.

Next in my list would be MagnaFlow 18" versions.

Or, if you can fit them, Dynomax 17748's are great but at 20" long, they are tougher to fit (shot below).

If you were rich, buy these VOE mufflers from www.waldronexhaust.com
Tom

I've seen those. Pretty trick, but like you said, you have to be rich. LOL!!! I will look furether into the Goerlichs though.
Thanks.

This is 'ZACKLY correct! Everybody likes to talk mufflers, but a car with out tail pipes is LOUD!

I agree. I have to put on a full system to tell for sure. Hopefully I can do that soon. The choices I've been given by everyone so far are great information if I have to do something.
Thanks to all who have responded so far. This is a great site.

Thats cuz it's a pontiac,lol...

Yes,you have to be especially careful of what muffler you put on a pontiac lol,unless you like the motor boat sound.I love the sound of super turbos,very deep and powerful with no funky rapping or high pitched sound when revved.

rumblefish360: so thats how aerochambers sound without any crossoverpipe i gues from the sound?
thats just the sound im looking for, already have aerochambers on my duster but i built my exhaust with an x pipe and to be honest im sick of the sound of the x-pipe however it still sounds great at an idle, if thats the sound without an x pipe you showed,then i know wish way im going as soon as i have my duster rolling again with the screwblown 340 :) my 340 may be alitle more radical (both performance and sound) than your 400 but i kind of get a good feeling from this :)

but flowmasters for someone who dont want to wake up a calm neighbourhood sounds crazy to me, i had 40 series deltaflows and those could realy wake up the dead when fitted to a fairly strongruning 340 even when driving carefully, but i did not have any crossoverpipe of any kind, i did however have full tailpipes

rumblefish360: so thats how aerochambers sound without any crossoverpipe i gues from the sound?
thats just the sound im looking for, already have aerochambers on my duster but i built my exhaust with an x pipe and to be honest im sick of the sound of the x-pipe however it still sounds great at an idle, if thats the sound without an x pipe you showed,then i know wish way im going as soon as i have my duster rolling again with the screwblown 340 :) my 340 may be alitle more radical (both performance and sound) than your 400 but i kind of get a good feeling from this :)

but flowmasters for someone who dont want to wake up a calm neighbourhood sounds crazy to me, i had 40 series deltaflows and those could realy wake up the dead when fitted to a fairly strongruning 340 even when driving carefully, but i did not have any crossoverpipe of any kind, i did however have full tailpipes

What don't you like about the sound with an X pipe?

Same here, Have them on my car now.

I have 3" Dynomax Super Turbos on my cuda. They are very quiet!! I put 3" electric cutouts on it when I want to be loud! This way I can have the best of both worlds!!!:snakeman:

What don't you like about the sound with an X pipe?

there is a few diferent things

it does not sound like a musclecar should, to smoth sounding for my taste.
at least my 340 sounded more like a ferrari or similar italian supersports car,than the kind of evil smallblock it realy was.

sounds like it turns alot more rpm than it realy does, if i wanted my 340 to sound like it turned 7000+rpm then all i need to do is to put my foot down and make it turn 7000+rpm(and you can bet it did more than often) i dont realy like it to sound like its doing that when just pulling away from a stoplight and shifting at about3500rpms..

thrust me i like quiet cars that dont turn more heads than necesary, but to me it feels stupid having a loud car at an idle that sounds very smoth wille cruising along at some speed and making less sounds when racing and that is how an x pipe sounds like to me when driving with one.

also both me and a friend of mine has noticed a weird sound that those x-pipes seems to create while driving on bigger roads at about 65mph steady,its a kind of a hollow sucking sound that the exhaust makes and its not loud and both our cars are fairly quiet inside the car with no big resonans sound or anything like that but that sound is real anoying

i like it to sound healthy at an idle, it should sound powerfull when cruising and i dont mine if it will wake up the dead when at full throtle aslong as the sound is reasonable while crusiing since im not the kind of guy who find it fun to wake up the neigbours when coming home late just cause i have a fast hotrod i just like a car that sounds like a musclecar should i like the sound of power that only a american V8 can have and i dont want to loose that sound just to gain 10horsepower, i can get 10 horses more by just spining the blower alitle faster so an xpipe to gain those 10horses is not all that important to me when it messes up the sound so much.

to be honest x-pipes sure have there place and they are a great way to make the car more quiet while driving around town or down the highway, and they will stop alot of anoying resonance that a big exhaust will create wile also adding some power
but i would realy prefer to find a muffler that will make the right sound without alot of resonance and that is flowing well enough to not cost alot of power while not being way to loud, and i think the aerochambers may be very close to fit into that plan :)

to be honest im realy useless at explaing what part of the sound that i dont like but i hope you understand what i tried to get into words

here is a video clip of my dart. in the video it has tti headers,3" pipe to the rear bumper, magnaflow X-pipe and dynomax super turbo mufflers. i didn't think it sounded too bad.. :)

in person it actually sounded more quiet then it sounds in the video and sounded way deeper.

http://www.abodyjoe.com/pictures/71 Dart/exhaust/dart exhaust.avi

also both me and a friend of mine has noticed a weird sound that those x-pipes seems to create while driving on bigger roads at about 65mph steady,its a kind of a hollow sucking sound that the exhaust makes and its not loud and both our cars are fairly quiet inside the car with no big resonans sound or anything like that but that sound is real anoying

really? never experienced that in my car.. not with the good 360 and 3.91 gears or the stock motor in it now with 2.94 gears. what mufflers were ya running? what X-pipe ? what size pipe?

i know my car had to be jetted up 2 jet sizes on the primary side of the carb when i went to the x-pipe and 3" enhaust.

here is a video clip of my dart. in the video it has tti headers,3" pipe to the rear bumper, magnaflow X-pipe and dynomax super turbo mufflers. i didn't think it sounded too bad.. :)

in person it actually sounded more quiet then it sounds in the video and sounded way deeper.

http://www.abodyjoe.com/pictures/71 Dart/exhaust/dart exhaust.avi

really? never experienced that in my car.. not with the good 360 and 3.91 gears or the stock motor in it now with 2.94 gears. what mufflers were ya running? what X-pipe ? what size pipe?

i know my car had to be jetted up 2 jet sizes on the primary side of the carb when i went to the x-pipe and 3" enhaust.

sounds great joe i realy like that sound, how is the sound inside the car driving both light trotle and under full power? (dont need any video or so of it, just alitle wondering) since most cars i have heard with x pipes have had that italian sportscar sound wile driving havent realy listened to them from the outside

my car had a fairly mean 340 with alot of compression and a comp 280r sollid roller in it, TTI headers 3" exhaust with a flowtech x-pipe and hooker aerochambers and full tailpipes 3.91 gears.
my friends 65malibu has a 383 smallblock about the same build as my litle 340 but more cubes and even the same camgrind,running a tunnelram and hooker 1 3/4" headers and a full 3" exhaust with a homebuild x-pipe that looks just the same as my flowtech x-pipe and 3" multifrequency mufflers (never heard of those? dont worry they are swedishmade apple mufflers and are very wellknown over here but i dont think they have ever tried to export them) they are oval straigh thru mufflers with a tuningchamber in them very big mufflers cant remember the exact size of the body of them but they are about 26" long and about 4x8 and have a pretty nice and deep sound at idle and a are superquiet on the highway when i have been following him on the highway in my dailydriver with the windows down i can hardly hear it running when the malibu is just 60 feet in front of me.. these mufflers are where the fueltank used to be under the car and it has short tailpipes but they dont dump under the car atleast, he is running 3.73 gears..
its alitle funny how two diferent exhausts with so diferent mufflers and locations of them can have that same stupid "sucking" sound..

and i hear you on the jetting i had the same experience on my duster when i built my last exhaust

btw my new 340 will be about the same build as the old one(even reusing the cam) but alot lower compression and with the addition of a lysholm screwblower will hopefully make alitle more power and will still be shifted at over 7000rpms i love to hear a smallblock scream late at night:toothy10:

sounds great joe i realy like that sound, how is the sound inside the car driving both light trotle and under full power? (dont need any video or so of it, just alitle wondering) since most cars i have heard with x pipes have had that italian sportscar sound wile driving havent realy listened to them from the outside

its really quiet inside. i love it. can hear the radio and talk to my passenger. i get none of that drone. at low speeds and at full throtle its pretty quite inside. you can hear it when on the floor boards but its not loud at all. and i really don't notice any "sports car" sound to my car.

my dad has a 2 1/2 or 2 1/4 X pipe with glasspacks and headers. Its very quiet at 65. i never noticed a sucking noise. for a daily driver that sees long trips on the highway i think thats a good thing. as for the really weird Ferrari sound. yes there is definatly one big time. i hate the way it sounds. But with flowmasters or something like them like pypes violators im pretty sure it will take that sound out of the exhaust. its funny how flowmasters sound gross and tin-y but with some sort of h pipe or x pipe they sound great.

I have a set of "street sneaker" glass packs on my dart. Im hoping they called them street sneaker as a joke cause they are nice and loud. I have a 2 inch exhaust with an H pipe, stock 318 manifolds and factory dart tips and it sounds mean as hell. pretty loud tho but i like that.

-
Back