MUFFLER OPINIONS

-
IMG_3710.gif

WAYNEO, Have you any muffler shops in your area ?
You might find a local that can do the complete system for a better price than piecing it together.

You might find a local that can do the complete system for a better price than piecing it together.
I’d never use local myself. The usually mess it up somehow, don’t do mandrel bends, and charge more. Why not pay the same (or even a little more if it is) and have computer designed, exact fitting, mandrel bent exhaust that bolts right in…..

that my 2 cents

I guess I'm lucky. Got 2 great near by shops that do excellent work.

Flowmaster has a sound chart. Just Google it. You can choose from mild to wild on the sound level. I had the classic 40 series Flowmasters in the past and they were way too loud. I now use the Delta Flow 40 series and they sound great.

The closes one is about 20 miles from me & from what ive been told he wants you to use his mufflers. He is good & expensive.

I’d never use local myself. The usually mess it up somehow, don’t do mandrel bends, and charge more. Why not pay the same (or even a little more if it is) and have computer designed, exact fitting, mandrel bent exhaust that bolts right in…..

that my 2 cents
90% or more people will never feel the difference between mandrel bends and not. Also, for what it's worth, lots of people have had trouble with mail order exhaust systems fitting good. A GOOD local muffler shop can work around vehicle inconsistencies.

The shop that did mine fully welded everything. No slip fits anywhere! H pipe meant couldn't pull trans either. Lesson learned

that my 2 cents

check out Waldron exhaust. Small family owned business. I bought my whole exhaust system from them. Really like it. Used thier imposter mufflers.

I am going to do the exhaust system on my 67 barracuda here soon. I am not sure on what for mufflers to use. I had flowmasters on a 68 dart that i once had & i didnt like the sound at certain RPMs. It was to crackly for me. I am going to be putting the mufflers at the factory locations for an A body with duel exhaust. Also not to mention im on a budget. I have a pair of new mufflers off an B body. They are the ones that came on 440 & hemi cars. I am going with 2 1/2 pipes. I have TTI headers.
The longer mufflers you have will fit and work nicely BUT the shop will have to be careful with the tailpipe bends out of the muffler. I flanged mine and then the problems go away. However, the stock ones you have should have been 2.25" and you wanted 2.5"?

90% or more people will never feel the difference between mandrel bends and not. Also, for what it's worth, lots of people have had trouble with mail order exhaust systems fitting good. A GOOD local muffler shop can work around vehicle inconsistencies.
You’re probably right about the 90% part. I’m in the 10% . Also agree that a lot of off the shelf kits and prevent like summit or flowmaster probably have fitment issues, however, I’ve yet to gave an issue with tti or accurate exhaust…. Well except once I did and sam at tti sent me a replacement part asap and issue gone. Worth the admission price to get the stuff for me anyway, especially for aftercare service

You’re probably right about the 90% part. I’m in the 10% . Also agree that a lot of off the shelf kits and prevent like summit or flowmaster probably have fitment issues, however, I’ve yet to gave an issue with tti or accurate exhaust…. Well except once I did and sam at tti sent me a replacement part asap and issue gone. Worth the admission price to get the stuff for me anyway, especially for aftercare service
It's all in location too as far as local exhaust shops. Unfortunately, good ones are not easy to come by everywhere.

On both of my 67 GTXs we used Accurate exhaust & they fit good. On my dads 62 polara with TTI headers we used TTIs exhaust & that fit good also. Its just a pain in the a** for me to find someone with a trailer, do it when they can ect. Im sure ill pay more with the shipping & all but so much more easier for me. They way its looking ill just use the HEMI style mufflers i have & make them fit.

There was a Motor Trend Engine Master's where they did a Dino Test botg ways was a good watch.

TTI is amazing. It fits right with mandrel bends and flows the best. Muffler shops don't even come close. Expensive though..

Dynomax Super Turbos - great sound, last a loooong time and dirt cheap. What's not to like?

I spent a bunch on Flowmasters once, thinking they were better, what a disappointment...

I have a pair of Walker C body mufflers, I used them on my 2500 Ram 5.9 gas truck. They have a decent idle quality and are not obnoxious on the road or at highway speeds. PM me you email address and I send you pictures and measurements.

changeing the position of the muffler i.e length of pipe between it and the exhaust port can have a dramatic impact on drone or at least the rpm it drones at.

another option is a small resonator box some way after the collectcor ends i.e more than about 8 inches further back, and before the muffler, takes the Crack out of the noise and alters the rpm it drones at.

the drone is due to a standing wave. dicated by RPM and length of pipe before muffler when multiples of the standing wave, wavelength perfeclty fits, into the distance from the exhaust valve to the opening into the muffler, at an rpm you sit at when on the freeway. Then the drone gets you down. if you change it so it does it a different rpm you are usually too busy hanging on for dear life to notice or its a problem a few seconds as you acelerate away through that rpm.

you go some way to achive a similar outcome with an X or H pipe in a 2 outlet system.
that junction acts as a disruptor to the standing wave and alters where the resonance is

Dave

-
Back