Muffler Options

-

roccodart440

Reaction score
TTI's system requires a same side offset/offset muffler for their system if you are using their system with relocated springs (usualy it's offset inlet with center outlet)

Dynomax has discontinued this muffler. Flowmaster still makes them. (40 series and 40 ultra) I don't really want a flowmaster. I don't like the sound under WOT and the interior resonance is anoying.

The Dynomax is a straight through design with a perforated tube. Essentially a glaspack with a larger body.

How bad are glasspacks for interior noise? and how bad are they outside compared to the 40's flowmasters?

Less high tones with glasspacks compared to the flowmaster's, but you will still have the drone unless you use a full length exhaust system.
If they go all the way out the back, then glasspacks might work for you.

Couldn't I buy a center out and use 2 45's or an S bend to bring it back to the inside?

You could get an offset offset magnaFlow or Goerlicjh XLERATOR. They will work.

Could you go with a bigger chambered muffler like flowmaster 50series? Quieter than 40 series. They Also Make The HP2 series.

I just switched from 40's series Flowmasters that rusted out (14 years of use), to Dynomax Race Bullets. The bullets are about the same idling, maybe a little louder at part throttle, but definitely louder at WOT....I don't mind my car being loud though, I can't really sneak around town with a plum crazy purple Barracuda anyhow :D....might as well let folks know there is something MEAN going down the road, lol.

FWIW, I like the sound of the bullets better than the Flowmasters...not as tinny sounding, and has a much more aggressive tone.

I finally decide on a glass pack style mufflers turn backwards.
Cheap, quick and ineffective.

Sound attenuation will be controlled from inside the car and under the hood by 4 butterfly valves actuated by my right foot.

Wow, you are right Roccodart. None offset offset on the same side. Need to make them I guess!
Sorry for getting your hopes up.
Tom

I attempted to go the cheap route with a Thrush Welded setup. Never again.
One of the internal baffles broke within 2-3hrs. Now all it does is rattle. It's true, you get what you pay for.

Also, people say these are loud but, even when it was working correctly, it wasn't loud enough for me. Maybe all those years working on a flight deck messed up my hearing. haha!

Loking right now at XR-1 Borla's or hushpowers by flowmaster.

Was wondering if you used a offest in dual outlet muffler and only used one outlet if that would work?

Jones Max Flow. They are like Magnaflows, but less expensive. My dad put a set on his 66 Coronet 500 with a built 440 and 3" exhaust and they sound sweet.

you could get away with a set of Hooker #21530 mufflers if you cut the inletside endplate of it and rotate 180degrees and weld it back on with the offset reversed,quite some work for little gain. to me it would make alot more sence to just weld up a set of tailpipes from universal bends instead,but im sort of workdamaged..

Any glasspack muffler will work. Basicly that is all the dynomax ultra flows were/are.

Just worried about it being too loud inside the car. Not realy worried about outside.

I actually went off a recommendation from my pops and put a single Thrush Glass Pack on my stock 318, that runs out the back. Granted it's been less than 24hrs but, I noticed at slow speeds it has a MUCH deeper sound and growl than the chambered muffler I had (thrush welded).
I'm glad I listened (father knows best?), because I really like the glass packs so far.....a lot.

Once I get up past a certain speed, amazingly, there is no drone whatsoever with the glass pack. The Thrush Welded was bad with the drone effect. I understand that things may change as the glass pack settles in but, i'm not worried about it, I actually want loud.

If it's any help to you, I can take a video today of the interior sound while driving and such with the glass pack.

My wife questioned my reason for wanting a louder muffler.
I said, "what's the point in having a bad *** car with a good engine if you can't even hear it. If I wanted quiet, I would have went and bought a cheap Kia or something".

Her response was "good point", so I guess I win.......this time! :thumbup:

I should also mention what I'm using...

I bought the 25" Thrush Glass Pack (2.25 In/Out) part number 24201, from Advance Auto Parts. I actually wanted one WAY smaller but, this was all they had. Once this one dies out, I may get a 12" Cherry Bomb.
Anyway...

If you buy online and do the pick up in store option and use the "never expires" coupon code of TRT30, you can get it CHEAP. So if you end up hating it, it won't be a big deal.

Side note: I usually end up buying almost everything I need from Advance because of that coupon code. I can't tell you how much money it has saved me in parts, cleaners, etc.

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure we can compare sound with a 318 to a 503hp 440 though. But thanks for the first hand info, appresciated.

Just an update, I'm looking for a replacement for the dynomax 17232 ultraflow They no longer make it. See it pictured below. TTI requires this for their exhaust when used with inboard springs.

Attachments

• dynomax.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 558
again you could try cutting the inlet endplates of a set of Hooker #21530 mufflers and rotate them and weld them back on again i cant see a reason why it would not work with the design of the inlet chamber of those mufflers. otherways just weld up a set of tailpipes for the application its not realy rocketsience to cut and weld exhaust tubing

Went with Borla XR-1's and 3" TTI's.

Sounds better than before and isn't obnoxious. Deeper and no louder than the flowmasters.

-
Back