muffler(s) on a Slant Six?

-
H

hustlinA

What are the best sounding mufflers for a Slant motor? Thinking headers also, so may go duals. Something mellow that wont blast me out of the car.
Thanks

The first car I did I went Flowmaster 40 like most everyone else. The high speed drone was Loud. Couldn't hear the radio with rear shelf speakers at any volume. Now use Summit SUM-630125 Turbo muffler.Or Dynomax. Some guys do duals some single.I run 2 1/2 single to the back bumper. Just a thought..

I like the Magnaflow straight through round stainless mufflers for 6s. The Flowmasters are too loud for my taste and drone too badly. Just remember, the longer the muffler, the quieter it is for a straight through. The diameter does effect loudness, but not so much as length. I haven't done mine yet, but I plan on a 2.5" Y pipe off headers and into a single 3" pipe out the rear with either a 4" or 6" body diameter straight through Magnaflow....whichever diameter fits best. The thing I like about the stainless series Magnaflows is that they are made completely of stainless. Even the stuffin.

I had my exhaust seperate from the muffler after driving over a high ice pack here in Mass. and was comtemplating throwing on a Cherry Bomb? Any of you guys try this?

It's no mopar, but my wife has a 4runner that had a Flowmaster on it when she got it. Goodness, the thing droned so badly at cruising speed that I had an otherwise perfectly operational muffler removed and scrapped. At best, it made the truck sound like it had a hole in the exhaust at idle.

I could never recommend Flowmaster to anyone. Just my 2 cents.

I have a 2 1/2" flowmaster 40 (single exhaust) on my sl6, It droned pretty bad and sounded like a ricer with a fart can on it. I added a 2 1/2" X 24" glasspack to it in the back as a resonator and it mellowed it right out, now its has nice rumble to it.

when my scamp had the 6 in it i had a staright through magnaflow on it, the previous owner put it on so i'm sorry but i don't know exactly which one it had. It sounded really good, wasn't overly loud but it was obvious it didn't have a stock muffler.

Hi,
I'm building an exhaust from my 2.25" super six exhaust manifold. I'd like something that sounds throatier than stock, but don't need it too loud.
It sounds like I should avoid the flowmasters.

You folks who tried cherry bombs and magnaflows, did you run the traditional exhausts or the glass packs? Have any of you run just a glass pack on a slant six? How does it sound?

Thanks,
Henry

My exhaust is stock all the way back on my slant six. Its nice and quiet for road trips but for the local shows its too quiet. I am going to put on an exhaust cut out form jegs and play around with a partial cover or straight out I dont know. Ill let you know how it sounds.

super 44 on mine... went from dual header collectors (2.5") to single 3" and axle dump...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ABKFcGty38"]YouTube - ‪Walk Around Day.MOV‬‏[/ame]

My old dart had a flowmaster 60 series off a jeep, didn't drone too badly, and had a very exotic engine sound at the back. My dart now has a 2.5" Raptor muffler, it's got a very low rumble, some drone under throttle, but is quieter than road noise while you're coasting.

My engines both were dead stock though, through the manifold.

-
Back