Muffler

-

moparstud440

Reaction score
Who's muffler are you guys using that helps tone down your race car but doesn't hurt the overall performance much? I currently just have 6" Schoenfeld Race Muffler on my car, but looking to quiet the car down some. Would like something that milds the sound down, but doesn't sound like a mustang going down the track either.

Everyone has their favorites, sound quality is subjective but I like 3” Dynomax Ultraflo’s. I use the round ones part# 17223 (on a van) I remove them along with the short 3” head pipes at the track as all combined I save about 50 lbs. The oval versions part# 17220 are “supposedly” one of the best flowing (based on some older tests easily researched) Never really noticed any differences in times at the track back when I did switch back and forth though. Running much quicker/faster now and haven’t bothered comparing with and without. May be better flowing mufflers now as the marketing of “bestest” never ends when it comes to mufflers:rolleyes:
B10ADD8D-4877-4B04-A7AF-58F996D3C160.png

Pypes race pro’s NOT the violators. Straight through not loud. Picked up a couple of tenths from a chambered dynomax.

Everyone has their favorites, sound quality is subjective but I like 3” Dynomax Ultraflo’s. I use the round ones part# 17223 (on a van) I remove them along with the short 3” head pipes at the track as all combined I save about 50 lbs. The oval versions part# 17220 are “supposedly” one of the best flowing (based on some older tests easily researched) Never really noticed any differences in times at the track back when I did switch back and forth though. Running much quicker/faster now and haven’t bothered comparing with and without. May be better flowing mufflers now as the marketing of “bestest” never ends when it comes to mufflers:rolleyes:
View attachment 1715840651
I have one of these ^^^ on Vixen and constantly get compliments on how good it sounds. No drone, either. Even the local cops like how it sounds. lol

I have one of these ^^^ on Vixen and constantly get compliments on how good it sounds. No drone, either. Even the local cops like how it sounds. lol
Same here, quite often. They have a distinctive sound of quality, I’d describe the quality as: like a vintage Stratocaster guitar through a vintage Fender tube amp.....a Gibson Les Paul through a Marshall Stack. :lol:

Engine masters did a show on quieting a thousand horsepower, all using the big ovals, rather than the bullets. 4 inch in and out. The hooker maxflow won the test, best power, cheapest, and second on quiet. Quietest was a Flowmaster 30, and it didn't cost over ten horsepower on a 1000hp motor, compared to the straight-thru's.
Edit: others in the test were borla and magnaflow.

Last edited:
Who's muffler are you guys using that helps tone down your race car but doesn't hurt the overall performance much? I currently just have 6" Schoenfeld Race Muffler on my car, but looking to quiet the car down some. Would like something that milds the sound down, but doesn't sound like a mustang going down the track either.

borla XR-1

I've had good luck with 3" oval Spintech 9000s. 6000s are also good.

Same here, quite often. They have a distinctive sound of quality, I’d describe the quality as: like a vintage Stratocaster guitar through a vintage Fender tube amp.....a Gibson Les Paul through a Marshall Stack. :lol:
They sound good, plus, they supposedly flow better than an open pipe.

Is that even possible? Where's an engineer when you need one?!
I don't know about flow..... but the aforementioned EM test, the hooker mufflers made more power, torque, and less noise than open headers, with or without a collector extension. It wasn't much, but it was there, on a 1050 horsepower engine.

I have 3" Dynomax Race bullets on my Barracuda...they don't slow the car down at all....but they also don't hardly quiet it down either, lol.

The Ultraflows flow more because the ID of the perforated section is larger than the inlet and outlet and that let's its gas expand a bit. We got values like 101 to 106% when we ran some.

The Ultraflows flow more because the ID of the perforated section is larger than the inlet and outlet and that let's its gas expand a bit. We got values like 101 to 106% when we ran some.
I’m not sure of the dates of these two charts, or who performed them, when or how they were all tested, but what’s your take on the numbers shown? In line with some of your testing? Now outdated?

676B7CBD-455D-4432-B13F-17BFC169EE51.gif

3ADDEEF4-F650-4076-8C21-C9F1EE2898C3.jpeg

Thanks for chiming in Tom! Merry Christmas!

Some of the new PYPEs mufflers do pretty well too. Not sure they have the data on their site yet but we gathered a lot this summer on many of their offerings.

-
Back