Mustang Brakes?

-

BigBlockMopar28

Reaction score
Hey guys. Before anyone jumps on to me for cross breeding, here me out, lol. I was looking into brakes options for my dart, and my original plan was to reuse the back drums and buy new front drums,(I can't afford discs, and donor factory disc cars aren't in my area). I had an idea though: how hard would it be to use mustang front discs on my car? More specifically a foxbody. What do you guys think?

I'm not a fan of using whatever brakes just because they are disc. There is the knuckle and how that will mate to your upper and lower control arms, let alone tie rod ends.

What do you have now? Firm Feel has killer brakes for drums. As easy as a brake job.

Firmfeel Mopar Suspension and Steering

I'm sure you can locate a Dodge Diplomat at a yard in your area to rob the spindle set up from and have a lot less homework to do to make it fit

At the moment I don't have anything for front brakes. Absolutely nothing. I have a guy willing to sell me big bolt spindles for 100 but he says they'll only work with drums. I've also checked with every mopar/ car guy in the area and they all seem to say that everything's been picked through. I have 2 donor cars for the project but both are slant 6 small bolt cars

You are right, I would not mess with 9" brakes. Big bolt drum knuckles are not A body. I would first decide whether you want big or small bolt pattern for the Dart. Run with the 9 " drums till you get everything, then do your swap. Also consider what rear. Having 2 different patterns is a lot of trouble. I'd also not believe what other people say. I'd go out and look for myself. If you want small bolt pattern, I have a set of 10" front drums knuckles and all you can have for $100 + shipping.

I guess I should have mentioned this earlier, but the entire car will be big bolt pattern. We got an 8 3/4 for the car that currently has small bolt axles. We are in the process of having the rear (factory) axles and drums redrilled to a big bolt, and just get all new internals and such for the rear drums. The front brakes weren't reusable in any fashion. Spindles and all had rust and corrosion. The guy I got the car from said the car could easily also use b body brakes if that makes a difference. There are all kinds of mustangs in my area with good discs. Heck I'd even use explorer discs or something similar if I could figure it out.

Regardless I'm gonna need spindles and all, so I figured it would be wise to see if there was a cheager junkyard option rather than having to order new parts.

It would be a major effort to pioneer the use of Fox-body Mustang front disks on your Mopar, and likely "can't get there from here" issues. It is much easier to follow a proven path, but there is glory in being a pioneer. Most of those are retired guys fooling with custom hot rods.

It would be a major effort to pioneer the use of Fox-body Mustang front disks on your Mopar, and likely "can't get there from here" issues. It is much easier to follow a proven path, but there is glory in being a pioneer. Most of those are retired guys fooling with custom hot rods.

Agreed-there's no value in using any Mustang spindles after 1978 since they were all macpherson strut front suspensions. The amount of grief involved to use them would be a bridge too far in my opinion.

I prefer the pin type calipers. That is a deal.

I believed it to be a deal as well considering the quantity of serviceable and usable parts, but I know there are people on here specifically who are not fans of pin type calipers. I don't understand the bias as many vehicles I've worked on used pin type calipers to good effect including the SVO style rear calipers I pirated for my 5 lug conversion on my 84 Mustang. I really should upgrade to the 13" rotors up front since I have 11.6" rotors out back.

Thanks guys. I'll probably end up getting those pin type discs. I've had a couple offers since I've posted this but both have changed their mind last minute.

Damn the luck...

The good part is simply that either slider or pin type calipers are standard fare and people still make parts for them--I'm pretty sure even EBC makes pads for both applications and if you've never used them, they make very good pads...or at least they used to.

-
Back