Mustang Owner Arrested mid-burnout

-
Young and dumb, now has to explain to his dad why police impounded his car. DUH!

1:34... tacos la bala? WTF? Can they call it reckless driving if the vehicle doesn't move?

In the good old days, nope

Today, yep

Its too easy to get reckless today and look how public opinion is, if FABO would find you guilty, ugh

Back in the early 80's--well I didn't see the video but most they really did was give you a few minor tickets, careless driving would be the serious ticket--but its not a traffic crime, you stay on the road like you just ran a red light

You might also got a ticket for smoke, being a hazard, just so it be a $300

Today its when in doubt arrest and let the courts decide how it plays out

From MSP-michigan state police (too bad all the PD don't think like this)

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123-1593_30536_25802-113048--,00.html

The difference between careless and reckless driving is one of intent and/or the possible consequences of such an act.

Careless driving often consists of multiple hazardous violations that are unsafe and negligent, committed at approximately the same time and location. The driver need not show intent to damage property or injure a person, or even a knowing disregard for that safety for the offense of careless driving to apply. An example may be, a motorists driving at an excessive rate of speed and running a red light. The act has to be one that is careless or negligent in manner and likely to endanger a person or property.

On the other hand, reckless driving is an intent crime. In this case, the driver is aware of the unsafe act(s) in which he or she is engaging, but does so anyway. An example might be, a motorist driving at an excessive rate of speed on the freeway, executing multiple lane changes, and cutting off traffic. As the motorist continues, he or she tailgates other drivers and then uses the shoulder to pass. In so doing, other vehicles are forced to take evasive action to avoid being struck by the offenders’ vehicle. The intent and/or possible consequences are a willful or wanton disregard for the safety of others.

Aggressive driving may fit the definition of either careless or reckless driving.

The bottom line? Any operation of a vehicle that is either careless or negligent and likely to endanger another or cause damage to property, or is in willful and wanton disregard for the safety of others, IS A VIOLATION.

my qusetion is he was doing this on private property, it looked like a shopping center parking lot. he wasnt on a public street so how could they arrest him for the burnout?

A public parking lot is not private property. If you run a stop sign in a parking lot technically it is the same as if you are on a public street. A kid I knew lost his license for doing a burnout in a strip mall where all his friends were hanging at the burger king.

Reckless driving, in many states, matters not if you are on private or public property, if you are ADJACENT to public property, a prosecutor could ARGUE that your car could get out of control and ENTER public property, or that stones, rocks, pieces of rubber, pavement, (or a broken axle or tire) could injure someone on public property.

I don't give one damn what daredevil said. I've seen "stuff happen" Axles break, cars go sideways, drunks trip and fall. This is dangerous stuff, especially with the obviously hundreds of people -- and probably kids, too -- standing around in various states of non soberness.

I don't know that handcuffs and jail were warrented here, it may or may not be mandated by state law in Texas.

Reckless driving, in many states, matters not if you are on private or public property, if you are ADJACENT to public property, a prosecutor could ARGUE that your car could get out of control and ENTER public property, or that stones, rocks, pieces of rubber, pavement, (or a broken axle or tire) could injure someone on public property.

I don't give one damn what daredevil said. I've seen "stuff happen" Axles break, cars go sideways, drunks trip and fall. This is dangerous stuff, especially with the obviously hundreds of people -- and probably kids, too -- standing around in various states of non soberness.

I don't know that handcuffs and jail were warrented here, it may or may not be mandated by state law in Texas.

Sound like my wife.

X2 Ever see a car launch a broken axle? Tire? I have. People have been killed with em, either from the tire or the car.

In the eighties, at the street races in south philly, the cars used to launch directly into the crowd! It was like Moses parting the red sea when the arms dropped. How stupid can you be to stand in the path of two cars drag racing. Many people were hurt or killed. That was the end of street racing around here.

In the eighties, at the street races in south philly, the cars used to launch directly into the crowd! It was like Moses parting the red sea when the arms dropped. How stupid can you be to stand in the path of two cars drag racing. Many people were hurt or killed. That was the end of street racing around here.

It needs to end everywhere, imo.

It needs to end everywhere, imo.

I've seen some decent street racing though in my time. Still illegal, but way out on back rounds with people in high visability vests and flashlights blocking roads way out in either end, racers wearing safety gear, no crowds along the roadway, etc. Even signs stating the road is detoured :D

Back just before my time there was actually an event where they closed down a section of an old highway (still in use although most people took the new highway) and had a "sanctioned" event by the city. Once again the highway was closed down for this one day only event. They held it for many years.

Sadly we used to have an 1/8th mile drag strip in my home town before I was born. Until a group of people tore down the brand new two story building they erected where they would store the timing gear, lights, and all that such. The volunteer racing commity didn't have the money to rebuild the building and keep the drag strip open so it was torn up a few years later. Now all we have is a small oval track.

Then there was a 1/8th strip about 8 hour return trip. I was on my cousin's pit crew for one of his races. Eventually that strip too shut down due to lack of money to keep it going.

Now the closest strip is about a 16 hour round trip I think it is.

The Twiggs County sheriff's deputy used to block off INTERSTATE 16 west back in the early 80s so we could run. lol

I've seen some decent street racing though in my time. Still illegal, but way out on back rounds with people in high visability vests and flashlights blocking roads way out in either end, racers wearing safety gear, no crowds along the roadway, etc. Even signs stating the road is detoured :D

Back just before my time there was actually an event where they closed down a section of an old highway (still in use although most people took the new highway) and had a "sanctioned" event by the city. Once again the highway was closed down for this one day only event. They held it for many years.

Sadly we used to have an 1/8th mile drag strip in my home town before I was born. Until a group of people tore down the brand new two story building they erected where they would store the timing gear, lights, and all that such. The volunteer racing commity didn't have the money to rebuild the building and keep the drag strip open so it was torn up a few years later. Now all we have is a small oval track.

Then there was a 1/8th strip about 8 hour return trip. I was on my cousin's pit crew for one of his races. Eventually that strip too shut down due to lack of money to keep it going.

Now the closest strip is about a 16 hour round trip I think it is.

Sorry. I've heard all the, so called, reasons, and arguments. I have yet to hear a valid one. In my opinion there is absolutely no reason for racing on a public road, I don't care how remote. The dangers of doing so go far beyond traffic issue.
If, perhaps, the local police are willing to help by securing an area, and supplying medical and fire equipment, then maybe, you have a valid argument. Don't mean to highjack the thread, and not trying to start another street racing argument. Just voicing my opinion.

Sorry. I've heard all the, so called, reasons, and arguments. I have yet to hear a valid one. In my opinion there is absolutely no reason for racing on a public road, I don't care how remote. The dangers of doing so go far beyond traffic issue.
If, perhaps, the local police are willing to help by securing an area, and supplying medical and fire equipment, then maybe, you have a valid argument. Don't mean to highjack the thread, and not trying to start another street racing argument. Just voicing my opinion.

I accept everyone's opinion on anything.

The way I look at it, if they secure the road against random people driving into the middle of a race then I personally don't care if they crash without medical and fire services standing by, they made their choice. Same way I look at seatbelts. If you don't wear a seatbelt then don't ***** when you get hurt during an accident :D

I accept everyone's opinion on anything.

The way I look at it, if they secure the road against random people driving into the middle of a race...

Who do you think should be responsible to "secure the road against random people driving into the middle of a race"?
The police are the only local entity who can legally do that.

What about animals. Ever see what a deer, a large dog, or a wild boar, for example, can do to a car, and worse, the driver?
When I was a volunteer fireman, we responded to a car that encountered a volcher. The driver and the bird were doa. The car, a Taurus, didn't fair well, either.

Ever see a car simply lose control under hard acceleration without breaking anything? Or a clutch explode, or rod leave the engine block and the vehicle.

With no emergency help on hand, even relatively minor injuries can become serious, or even life threatening.

It doesn't take an innocent driver driving into the middle of an ongoing race to threaten the lives of the racers or watchers. It just takes a moment of something happening, mechanical, or natural, that wasn't counted on.

Without security supplied by the municipality, without emergency help in the immediate area, and without some common sense safety measures (that will never be self imposed by the racers or the watchers), the chances of injury, death, or permanent maiming increase astronomically from even the most minor incident.

Don't get me wrong, I'm guilty of my share of stupidity regarding drag racing and speeding on public roads. It's that experience and the loss of a couple of friends, and the amputation of limbs of my cousin that changed my mind. I have no delusions of being the person that finally puts an end to street racing, but, I will speak out about it at every opportunity, and have done so for over 25 years now.

I've heard all the excuses, all the justifications, all the arguments, even the most arrogant "I want to, so STFU", stupidity. Nothing changes. Placating one's ego seems to rob people of their own common sense. When they realize that there is no justification for street racing, the only alternative left is to attack those who speak against it. I'm used to it.

Thank you for not being one of them.

Who do you think should be responsible to "secure the road against random people driving into the middle of a race"?
The police are the only local entity who can legally do that.

What about animals. Ever see what a deer, a large dog, or a wild boar, for example, can do to a car, and worse, the driver?
When I was a volunteer fireman, we responded to a car that encountered a volcher. The driver and the bird were doa. The car, a Taurus, didn't fair well, either.

Ever see a car simply lose control under hard acceleration without breaking anything? Or a clutch explode, or rod leave the engine block and the vehicle.

With no emergency help on hand, even relatively minor injuries can become serious, or even life threatening.

It doesn't take an innocent driver driving into the middle of an ongoing race to threaten the lives of the racers or watchers. It just takes a moment of something happening, mechanical, or natural, that wasn't counted on.

Without security supplied by the municipality, without emergency help in the immediate area, and without some common sense safety measures (that will never be self imposed by the racers or the watchers), the chances of injury, death, or permanent maiming increase astronomically from even the most minor incident.

Don't get me wrong, I'm guilty of my share of stupidity regarding drag racing and speeding on public roads. It's that experience and the loss of a couple of friends, and the amputation of limbs of my cousin that changed my mind. I have no delusions of being the person that finally puts an end to street racing, but, I will speak out about it at every opportunity, and have done so for over 25 years now.

I've heard all the excuses, all the justifications, all the arguments, even the most arrogant "I want to, so STFU", stupidity. Nothing changes. Placating one's ego seems to rob people of their own common sense. When they realize that there is no justification for street racing, the only alternative left is to attack those who speak against it. I'm used to it.

Thank you for not being one of them.

I've seen my share of accidents and yes, I've lost friends who were doing stupid things. It hurt but my friends knew what they were doing was stupid. They paid for their stupidty.

I'm in no way saying that they were being safe. What I meant was that I was just glad that no innocent drivers would get into the middle of a race, at least those precautions were taken.

If they want to race so be it as long as no "innocents" get hurt. Those racers make their beds. If they get hurt or killed then so be it. I would say it's no different than playing Russian Rulette. They know the risks.

The Twiggs County sheriff's deputy used to block off INTERSTATE 16 west back in the early 80s so we could run. lol

That cause they too--or their love ones, had fast cars and it was fun to show off.

But so much has changed since the early 1980's.

I know for a fact in the state of Michigan back then, everybody driving on the road was 100% responsible fo the control of their car. If somebody was illegally passing at 90 mph and came straight at oncoming traffic, so long as that car speeding did not strike any other cars, the most the law could throw at them was a 90 day mis reckless driving. If one of those motorists he went charging right at served too far and hit a tree the accident was not their fault. (now yeah, the cops back then may had kick the fender and claimed the car did make contact)

The thinking was that motorist who crashed and was killed over reacted and that other guy had no control over the other car and its not their fault the other motorist wasn't a good driver.

All that got thrown out the window in the 1990's

In Detroit around 1990, three Detroit cops-or trainees ( think 2 were cops and 1 was trainee) well they all got killed when 2 cop cars T bone. One cop car was flying down the street after a 1987 Buick Grand National and the other cop car try to cut him off and T bone another Detroit police car. All 3 were killed.

Cops found the G.N. a few blocks away, keys in the ignition--this was in the dead of the night. That next day the owner of the G.N. showed up at the PD station reporting his car was stolen. That he went to do drugs in a known crackhouse and past out and when he woke up the next day his car keys were gone and so was his car. He had no idea even where abouts the crackhouse was-let alone who was there and he just wanted his car back--which he got a 2 days later.

Back then fleeing @ eluding was just a 1 year mist. and that accident wasn't the fleeing car fault cause that driver had no control of the other cars.

All those laws were thrown away.

Today you can take off from the police and if some hot shot cop 5 miles away hears about the chase on the radio and he does a 180 in front of on coming traffic, well that accident is all the fleer fault and they go saying its 2nd degree murder

Total BS, but how the law is today

This just goes to show when you drive a rustang you need to show off .As a guy in a mopar would wait for a place to do it right.

Seriously? I own and drive TWO Mustangs among my Mopars and I don't have the "need to show off". I've seen GM, Ford AND Mopar guys all do stup*d ****. So maybe think twice about singling out Mustang guys.

-
Back