my 1964 barraucuda has no spark

-

cudamann

Reaction score
hi group , i was hoping group could give me some suggestions what to check, i am running electronic pickup with control module ,
but have no spark to the plugs

doug t

Welcome to the site!
Are you running the factory-style electronic ignition, or aftermarket like Pertronix or MSD or ?

This site has a "search" deal here on FABO, and I notuced other day htere is a thread with same issues. Lots of good info from those "wiring/eclectrial " gurus!!!

At min, you need a meter, test lamp, jumper alligator clip leads

Turn key to run, measure coil + terminal to ground. Should have somewhere from 6--to 10V, not much lower and not much higher.

With meter clipped in place, crank engine with key and watch meter. While cranking, coil+ should see "same as battery" IE if battery sags to 11V when cranking, then coil + should be about same.

Disconnect coil wire and "rig" preferably a copper core wire--even a low voltage wire hung out away from metal--to a test gap or even a plug. Crank engine watch for spark

With key in "run" disconnect distributor connector. Take up harness end, and tap the bare terminal to ground repeatedly. You should get one single "snap" spark at the coil each time.

ECU box MUST be grounded. "Wiggle test" all connectors, and ESPECIALLY vigourously work the distributor connector several times to "scrub" the terminals. and to "feel" for tightnerss.

IF you're using the factory system, tell us how you installed it on your '64, and which one you installed- four pin ECU (single ballast) or five pin (dual ballast)?
1665417822704.png

1665417897528.png

I am running single ballast with after market Petronix
Any way problem solved , air gap too big adjusted to .008 all good
Thanks

-
Back