My 1966 Dodge Coronet

-

Mark Stitess

Reaction score
I need sum help with mods to my 1966 Dodge Coroent model 440 with Poly 318 and 727 automatic. I am wanting to put a Dodge magnum 360 in my coronet. I have read abot a few things that might work but wonder if anyone has done this swap. I know the trans in my car will bolt up to a LA 360 with one bolt hole not lining up but I want to go with a magnum engine. Any help would be appreciated

The problem you have with 68? and earlier autos is that the converter snout and crankshaft converter pilot hole is smaller. There used to be a bushing you can buy, but I do not know if or who. It is just a ring, you could get one machined if you have a friend with a lathe

The other thing is, the 5.9 Magnum is externally balanced "weighted" but it is DIFFERENT than a 360LA. The LA engines had weights welded to the converter, which was keyed by the offset bolt. The Magnums are externally weighted on the flywheel/ flex plate and the converter is "neutral" and so will fit in any position. So you will need a matching weighted flex plate. If the converter is not too large, you may be able to use the Magnum flex.

You will also need to do something about a pan. Not sure what sumps fit a B

The problem you have with 68? and earlier autos is that the converter snout and crankshaft converter pilot hole is smaller. There used to be a bushing you can buy, but I do not know if or who. It is just a ring, you could get one machined if you have a friend with a lathe

The other thing is, the 5.9 Magnum is externally balanced "weighted" but it is DIFFERENT than a 360LA. The LA engines had weights welded to the converter, which was keyed by the offset bolt. The Magnums are externally weighted on the flywheel/ flex plate and the converter is "neutral" and so will fit in any position. So you will need a matching weighted flex plate. If the converter is not too large, you may be able to use the Magnum flex.

You will also need to do something about a pan. Not sure what sumps fit a B
I really appreciate the info. Thanks a lot
Mark

-
Back