My 1967 Restoration Project *many pictures*

-

67 Barracuda

Reaction score
Hey guys, new here. I'm Hank, 18, and just bought a 1967 Barracuda. My girlfriend and I have split the project. We picked up the car this Saturday. It doesn't have the original 273 in it, the guy put in a 383 and has a Holley intake and carb and MSD ignition. She's kind of rough, but I'm really happy. We got it for $1,500.

And here's the pictures (warning, there are a lot).

With these pictures, I didn't have time to crawl under the car so I just reached under there and took what I could:

On the back of an aluminum part with the fish on it, I pulled this number:
2839108 AN NO 50-541, does that mean anything?

On the steering column I pulled this number:
AP42, does that mean anything?

Looks like a good project to start with. Although that is NOT a 383. It is a small block, probably a 318. A 383 has the distributor at the front, it looks like this --
10707954aa.jpg
:D

Lots of work to be done for sure, but she does not look too far gone as far as I can tell. Just imagine how great it will be when you get her back to 100%!

Please keep us up to date with your project.

-LY

fastback383 said:
Looks like a good project to start with. Although that is NOT a 383. It is a small block, probably a 318. A 383 has the distributor at the front, it looks like this
Ah, bummer. :cry: Well this definitely means I will have to put a new engine in. :lol: Still kinda wish she had the 273...

That may be a 340 - which you would definitely want to keep.

There should be a stamped pad on the motor just below the head on the driver's side that would have either 318 and 340 in the number and that will tell you the displacement.

All right, thanks man. I'm pretty sure the guy said it was bigger than a 318. I didn't have time that weekend to overlook the car very well since we had a dance to go to that night and I had to come back here to Colorado for college on Monday. Next time I get home (two weeks) I'll definitely check. I might be able to find out before then, though.

Welcome aboard :D
Looks like your car is pretty solid which is always a plus. :thumleft:

As far as engine size it should be stampes right on the block just above the starter.

That fish looks a little rough around the gils. :lol: Sorry, couldn't resist. :wink:

Deffinately a small block, but 383 could be possible with a 318 block and 4" stoker crank. I doubt that's what you have though.

I don't really remember what the owner said he had put in. All I remember is he said it's bigger than a 318, I think. Thanks for the welcome.

looks solid! hope it will give yuo lots of fun putting it back to driving condition! hope you and your girlfriend will apreciate to work on it! like the others said it doesnt matter that its a smallblock those can be realy entertaining enough :wink: and welcome!

Definately not a 383, but a small block with a 4 spd is a fun car. I can just see that rear end exploding the first time you dump the clutch. You definately need to replace it with a 8 3/4.

Good luck. It looks like a good starting point.

bit of a corn cob but they all start have to start somewhere, and if you throw enuff money at it it will become what you want !

I`m looking at another one now in much worse shape than yours. It looks like the bones are good on yours and that`s a good start. Have you ever seen the movie "Money Pit"?

almost done with the resto on my 68 fastback. Should be done just in time for winter. :) Looking at those pictures just gave me flashbacks.....you got alot of fun ahead.

-
Back