My 1973 Dodge Dart Sport Project

-

BTYM

Reaction score
Hey y'all. This is just a thread to track progress on my 73 dart sport. When I picked it up, it had sat for 4 years. I replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter. I dropped the tank, and found what appeared to be black tar lol. The tank was pretty bad as well. I bought a new tank, sending unit, insulator pad, and filler neck grommet. Parts will be installed by the end of the week, waiting on the insulator pad. I have some plans for the car, barring any unforeseen financial crisis... (my wife is pregnant with my first child, I have a strange feeling this project may be put on the back burner) This summer, I would really like to just get the car running, and take it out for a spin now and then. It needs an oil change, coolant flush, plugs, wires, cap and rotor, and brakes all around. This winter is when the fun starts. I would like to pick up a 360, and start a rebuild on that. I would like to rebuild the 904, with a shift kit and some heavier duty parts, I would like to find myself a better rear end (has a 7.25 right now) I would like to find a 8.75 rear end that I can rebuild, with 3.55 gears. After all that's done, the body is in need of some TLC. She has some rust holes / bubbles in all of the common places. Rocker panels, wheel wells, quarters, etc... vinyl top is in pretty rough shape. I'm not sure if I want to replace, or just remove and paint. I'm getting ahead of myself lol, I need to pace myself. Here are some pictures of what she looks like now, the fuel I drained out of the tank, and the sending unit.

Attachments

• Pic of dart 001.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 897
  • Pic of dart 007.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 878
  • Pic of dart 006.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 868
  • Pic of dart 005.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 874
  • Pic of dart 004.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 881
  • Pic of dart 003.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 871
  • Pic of Dart 002.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 880
Nice car already, interior, engine bay pix? Keep us posted with pix of course.lol

good to see another sport. Looks like a good starter. Drive and have fun with it :burnout:

If you don't know already, a 66-67 B body 8 3/4 axle will almost drop right in with no work (except driveshaft shortening) and no clearance issues.
All you have to do is push on the springs a little while setting it in..

...and it's a LOT less than an A body 8 3/4.

...and also the 66-67 B axle IS different than 68-70.

Looks pretty solid from the pics.

I like that color combo on Sports.

Looks like a good start. Definitely do it in small steps and keep it driving as long as possible.

Nice start. Take your time,enjoy the ride...^^^^^ Good advice.

Well, today I put the new gas tank and sending unit in, put some fuel in her and... nothing. So I pulled the line off the carb and had a buddy crank it. No fuel. So, the new sending unit sits about 1/8" higher than the original so either my 2.5 gallons of gas isn't enough for the sending unit to pick up, or the pump I just put in when I bought it is bad.

Here are some pictures of the interior, engine bay, and trunk area. I will be scrubbing her down as soon as the weather decides what it wants to do around here.

Attachments

• Pic of dart 016.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 768
  • Pic of dart 015.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 778
  • Pic of dart 014.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 790
  • Pic of dart 013.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 768
  • Pic of dart 012.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 795
  • Pic of dart 011.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 775
  • Pic of dart 010.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 769
Hell of a nice find there. Looks like she should clean up nicely. Love the rims.:coffee2:

Alrighty, so another weekend is here (I have Sunday and Monday off) and I am bound and determined to get this thing to stay running under it's own power. Today I pulled off the carburetor, and cleaned EVERYTHING! I noticed that i had a bad fitting on the line from the pump to the car, that was leaking slightly. I will replace that line in the morning, and put the carb back on, and see if she fires up!!! On the other hand, if I have to buy a rebuild kit, can somebody tell me what carburetor this is? When I bought the car I was told it's a remanufactured Holley, but it has the carter body

Attachments

• Pic of dart 020.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 739
  • Pic of dart 019.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 730
  • Pic of dart 018.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 733
  • Pic of dart 017.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 749
That's a stock Carter two barrel. There should be a small tag,or casting numbers on it. If you haven't done a carb rebuild before,might ask for RustyRatRod's services. He's good ,honest & reasonable.

A picture of the fuel system parts, the differences in my new and previous sending units, and everything installed.

Attachments

• Pic of dart 022.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 722
  • Pic of dart 023.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 716
  • Pic of dart 021.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 724
Great lookin ride, you'll have a blast. Just replacing my tank now, where did you find the filler neck grommet?

I got mine from classic industries. I actually got one from the guy I bought the tank from as well. I could send you my extra if you're interested

So, today I got the car running. Took a video of it actually. You can hear it in my voice how shocked I was that the thing actually ran lol here's the video.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203354151640355&set=vb.1408029771&type=2&theater

And another video of her out of the garage...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203354154360423&set=vb.1408029771&type=2&theater

And I took her around the block, I just couldn't resist. :D During my "joyride" I discovered a plethura of new problems. One, she starves out when you lay on the gas. Probably just an adjustment. Another issue I found actually before I even took her around the block was, the oil filter in this car CAN NOT be changed (not easily at least.) While changing the oil I found that the long tube headers that were put on this car, the one on the passanger side is nice and snug, literally touching the oil filter. Kind of an issue, I don't know if it's been changed once since this engine was installed. The drivers side header was bottomed out at some point. There is a nifty little flat spot right where it bends to go back to the rear of the car. Pictures of all that soon to come, but the biggest, scariest, and most serious issue I found was when I went to make a right hand turn. The steering wheel was hard to turn, and then "THUD" it slammed to the right. So I limped it home, and got underneath her. There is more play than humanly imaginable where the idler arm connects to the K-frame. Like ALOT of play. So, now that's on my list... Here's a video of that.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203354152760383&set=vb.1408029771&type=2&theater

I started to get into the front end tonight. Going to be ordering a new idler arm when I get paid on Monday (monthly pay blows, but ehh work is work) I found that the K-Frame is welded on at one point, poorly I might add. The upper control arm bushings could be replaced, and there the back of the front fenders bolt to the car, theres really nothing holding it on. Body work terrifies me. It is one of the only things I have absolutely %100 no knowledge of. I have never had an ounce of experience with it, and it keeps me up at night like a monster in my closet lol. Here are some pictures. I also found that there was no 90* adapter used for the oil filter. The only way it's coming out is if I take the header off of the engine, so that's going to happen this upcoming weekend as well. I find myself slowly regretting this purchase. The thought of a project car has always enticed me, but things have changed. A year ago I lived in Western New York. My family had gone through a lot of unexpected deaths, but for the most part, we were still sticking together like glue. I found a job out here in Colorado that pertained to my degree. Law enforcement. Those jobs are hard to come by in New York, so I was willing to go anywhere. Awhile after I moved out here, my uncle, a garage guru. The man I learned everything I know about working in a garage from, passed away. I wanted to build a car in his honor, so this project was born. The difference is, no matter what I would be working on, be it a customer's car, my own vehicles, my street stock, my cousins race cars, no matter what it was if I hit a snag, or started losing steam he would be there to talk me back into it. That's gone now, and I'm slowly becoming overwhelmed lol. In a years time, I went from not having a care in the world, to having a career, mortgage, and now my wife and I are expecting my first child. The car gets my mind off of it, but with all of my new discoveries, nothing seems to take my mind off of the car. I ain't gonna quit, but I gotta learn to pace myself. Anyway, sorry about getting off topic, and ranting like a mad man. Here are the pics!

Attachments

• Pic of dart 025.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 657
  • Pic of dart 027.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 647
I know its a long road Jim but you must enjoy each small victory as it comes. I don't think anybody ever has a "finished" car and the fun is in the journey and sharing it with others who have the same interest. The pay off is when you drive down the street and complete strangers give you the thumbs up, or you park in the lot and there aren't 15 other new models just like yours. You will have an awesome ride!

I haven't seen any thing to bad so far. Do you have enough room around those headers where you can mount a remote oil filter. You'll only have to pull that header once. As far as body work goes, I have the same feelings about it that you do, but I have decided to just go for it. there are some books on the subject that help. Start small and slow. When you start feeling over whelmed or doubtful, spend a little quiet time with the car, Your Uncle will still be there to help out. Just listen.:coffee2:

just ordered up some parts from O'reilly's. Moog Idler arm, front rotors, pads, and calipers. Carter 2 barrel rebuild kit. Hopefully I'll be able to drive her to work on Thursday, carring any unforeseen issues.

Good looking starting canvas.
Just take you time and work on it when you can, these old cars are meant to be fun.

The oil filter issue most likely can be fixed by using a shorter oil filter, Purolator L14670 or similar.

I agree with Thunder as well! Take your time and enjoy every step, even the cleaning! Ill bet dollars that the trunk, interior and engine bay will clean up really nice, and its those kinds of jobs that show real promise!! As for the other stuff, just go about problem solving one thing at a time and it won't get overwhelming! It's a nice start for a car, and its so close to driving now that it shouldn't take long to get it up to speed!!

Maybe a 90 degree oil filter adapter and a short filter will solve the clearance issue down there! You can turn the adapter to allow clearance, which should help!!

Scrub that trunk and interior, have a seat behind the wheel and share a little time wiith your Uncle, he'll be proud of how well you're using what he shared with you! Above all, enjoy the ride, you have a lifetime of memories to make so take your time!! Geof

-
Back