My 273 turned out to be a 318...what did I buy?

-
I don't mean to hijack the OP's thread, but how well did your headers fit with power steering? Doug's?

Yes, Doug's. The driver's side was a blast installing, lol.

I had to ding a little to clear the cap on the coupler. Definitely a tight fit. I've thought about installing a heat shield but haven't yet.

I also had to ding a little for the driver's side torsion bar.

I bought the uncoated and unpainted ones so I didn't mind dinging them. Then I wrapped them.

The hose on the passenger side is the fuel line to the electronic pump mounted to the frame rail out of view. The red wire is the feed to that pump. Certainly an opportunity to clean up the wiring. I appreciate all of your insight and time. This is so helpful for someone with limited experience. I am an engineer by trade so I want to digest and understand all of this. I have the factory manual, Stockel's Auto Mechanics fundementals, and Peterson' Automotive Troubleshooting and Repair Manual that I have been diving into. But being able to ask real people about things is much more helpful. Thanks again!

I really like your car and i would drive the wheels off of it , that said you should check to see if an inertia switch was wired into the fuel pump circuit . You don't want to be the main attraction at a weiner roast .

I don't mean to hijack the OP's thread, but how well did your headers fit with power steering? Doug's?

Pic with headers and a 5.9 Magnum. I switched to Taylor wires since but I'm not near the car to get a current pic.
IMG_20200702_182045.jpg

you should check to see if an inertia switch was wired into the fuel pump circuit

This!

Initially when swapping to a Magnum I ran an electric fuel pump. After having one quit on me I bought the cam snout extension and went back to a mechanical pump. Another reason was to get rid of the pump noise...my Autistic grandson wouldn't ride in it because of the noise. I never got around to putting in a inertia switch and that was always on my mind when driving. No worries now!

Welcome and nice starter ride!

Did the seller/previous owner have the car a while and make all those modifications? Seems odd that he would indicate the block is a 273 instead of a 318? Maybe the seller bought the car with those modifications already and flipped it?

I will absolutely be installing a dual master cylinder at a minimum. Thanks for all of the suggestions to protect the lines from the exhaust heat. Thanks for sharing your pic!
My question is will a dual reservoir master cylinder even fit with the header tube being so close to the current master cylinder?

Welcome and nice starter ride!

Did the seller/previous owner have the car a while and make all those modifications? Seems odd that he would indicate the block is a 273 instead of a 318? Maybe the seller bought the car with those modifications already and flipped it?
The seller is into B body mopars. He brings mopars back east from the west. This valiant was from California and he drive it for about 2 years. According to him, he installed the fuel pump to correct a stalling issue. I'll definitely look into the inertia switch. He wasn't sure what had been done to the engine but said it was a former drag car. He also installed an 8 3/4 3.23 sure grip rear. Surprised he didn't know it was a 318 either. Sent him a text when I saw the casting numbers....haven't heard back yet.

I really like your car and i would drive the wheels off of it , that said you should check to see if an inertia switch was wired into the fuel pump circuit . You don't want to be the main attraction at a weiner roast .
I have been called a weiner in the past but I prefer to remain uncooked. I'll definitely look into the inertia switch.

The seller is into B body mopars. He brings mopars back east from the west. This valiant was from California and he drive it for about 2 years. According to him, he installed the fuel pump to correct a stalling issue. I'll definitely look into the inertia switch. He wasn't sure what had been done to the engine but said it was a former drag car. He also installed an 8 3/4 3.23 sure grip rear. Surprised he didn't know it was a 318 either. Sent him a text when I saw the casting numbers....haven't heard back yet.
If a drag car it is likely .030 over with KB167 pistons. Same 10.5:1 compression as the 273 Commando and 50 more cubes. At approx. 2750 lbs definitely not a slouch!

Since everyone has been so helpful, I thought I'd post a few more pics. I am definitely not thrilled with the location of the fuel pump (front passenger frame rail under the horn). Going to relocate to the rear of the car and try to use as much steel line as possible to replace all that rubber line. Carb is a Holley 4 barrel 600 CFM (R84010-2). Any additional info and tips is greatly appreciated!

Cut outs.JPEG

Driveshaft.JPEG

Fuel line at firewall.JPEG

Fuel pump.JPEG

Holley R84010-2 Overhead.JPEG

Holley R84010-2.JPEG

Rear end.JPEG

All that rubber hose for fuel line gives me heart palpitations.

Make sure you insulate the master and lines from the header. The heat will expand the brake fluid and cause a hard pedal or brake drag. Or worse, loss of brakes.

I have TTI's on my 65, doesn't look to me like the master cylinder is any closer to the headers than it was to the 340 manifolds I used to run. I did fabricate new brake lines from the m/c down to the combination valve, which I had to move to the rear to get it out of the way of the headers.

1713466318334.jpeg

1713466341251.jpeg

I have TTI's on my 65, doesn't look to me like the master cylinder is any closer to the headers than it was to the 340 manifolds I used to run. I did fabricate new brake lines from the m/c down to the combination valve, which I had to move to the rear to get it out of the way of the headers.

View attachment 1716238322

View attachment 1716238323
Curious if you have any pictures from below. My stock 273 manifolds are RIGHT on the proportioning valve. Haven’t had any issues in the short time I’ve had it on the road, but I do know I need to address it.

1713476865256.jpeg

I see someone's hot rod! LOL The fuel hose splitting the feed line to the carb bowls is one way to make it easier to swap jets at the track. So it has a Holley carb on it - probably a 4150/60, and explains why there's no bimetal choke in the intake. The intake someone will recognize.

A lot of it looks like it was fit in well. Wiring at minimum needs to be wrapped and supported. More later
Carb looks like a 4010 model

Curious if you have any pictures from below. My stock 273 manifolds are RIGHT on the proportioning valve. Haven’t had any issues in the short time I’ve had it on the road, but I do know I need to address it.

View attachment 1716238437

No, no pix of that valve from below. But I don't think yours is in the original place - looking at the hook on the mounting bracket, it should poke into a small locating hole in the frame, and I don't see it. And I wouldn't think the factory would have put the valve so close to a 273 manifold.

But the valve wasn't in the same place from one year to the next, anyway. The one in my 63 Valiant was a couple of inches to the rear of the one in my 65 Barracuda. Why? Don't know. So what I did was just move the Barracuda's valve back some two inches (as I recall), drilling one hole for the hold-down bolt, and a smaller hole for the locating hook. Then, of course, had to shorten the front to rear line the same amount as the valve was moved to the rear (but I just went ahead and made a new front-rear line anyway). And made two new m/c to valve lines, running them well away from the header tubes.

PS: I also had to move the horn relay to where it would clear the dual master cylinder. Just moved it to the side an inch or two.

Power steering with chassis headers.....that has to be a tight fit! I'd get rid of that plastic fire-waiting-to-happen fuel filter too while you're revamping that fuel delivery system.

The alternator, fan, pulleys all look like they are correct for mid 60s. Water pump looks like it must be have its intake on the driver side - that too is correct through '69.
View attachment 1716236186
It has a mechanical choke and cable.
Later Chrysler magnetic pickup distributor and ECU (instead of points). Maybe could use some tweaking if your into that, but should work fine.
I think wire harness support clips are missing (zip tied instead)
Some wire mysteries along with the long hose laying on the inner fender.

Wiring on this side is a bit of a mess.
View attachment 1716236194
The wrong wire gets melted or pinched into something grounded and there will be a short. Two of the firewall harness clips are there so thats good.

There's some nice examples of '65 engine bays on this forum. Some with engine out and harness in. You can see how the wiring is routed.
Only wiring I see different from factory will be the distributor and ECU. I can't see th starter relay, and ther eis a grammet with wires running inside so maybe some more modifacation. That's not bad or good. Its the execution you may want to clean up, or at least support and protect.

View attachment 1716236200

DSCF1903.JPG

DSCF1902.JPG

DSCF1901.JPG

Since everyone has been so helpful, I thought I'd post a few more pics. I am definitely not thrilled with the location of the fuel pump (front passenger frame rail under the horn). Going to relocate to the rear of the car and try to use as much steel line as possible to replace all that rubber line. Carb is a Holley 4 barrel 600 CFM (R84010-2). Any additional info and tips is greatly appreciated!
Pushing more than sucking is usually easier on pumps. On the other hand relocating electric back there is a project.

1713626709998.png

Looks like the connecting and right side parking brake cables missing

1713626729806.png

Good news - steel wasn't cut.

1713626779319.png

If it was me, I'ld look up the specifications on the pump for 1) fuel line connections, 2) electric power draw at X Volts for the range of flow and pressure 3) pressure flow relations and what if any maximum pressure it will create when dead headed (no flow out)

The use of fuel hose and lack of supports for it, and the lack of support for the electric power line are my main safety concerns. If they move around and touch something they will get cut or melted. If the wire vibrates the joints by the connecting terminals will weaken and eventually fail.

Plastic fuel filters were used by the factory and alone don't concern me. But they have to be well supported. Cuorrent location and orientation is OK - in fact close to factory on some engines. Its the lack of support that is concerning. Plastic can melt or get cut even though its a better insulator than steel or aluminum.

Wire to the temperature sender needs repair. if this breaks and touches ground, the gage can be damaged
Wire to the alternator field needs to be supported. If this gets grounded, the internal fuse in the votlage regulator will melt (if its a mechanical regulator)

Re: Brake lines. Lots of good ideas. The exhaust heat near the lines is not ideal but depending on placement and airflow probaly OK. The areas where its very close seem limited to heat sources. Brake fluid should be good to 300 *F. On the other hand portions of the fuel begins to vaporize at just over 100 F. By 130 F, a significant proportion will be vaporized - espeically winter fuel. Obviously danger of fire is much higher too.

Check out the Master Tech booklets for Disk Brakes and Hydraulics both with a single resevoiur master cylinder and with tandem MC. Master Technician Service Conference - Chrysler's Training for Mechanics
Look under 1966 for the disk hydraulics arrangment with single piston mc, session 219 p. 6
and then the ones in 1967 for the new tandem MC system.

1713627698349.png

That carb is showing significant reversion.
It's probably running richer than it has to - that's not the cause of the black - that's because reversion sends exhaust back into the combustion chamber.

First. Check fuel levels.
Second. Clean the carb. Make sure the passages are clear of debris, varnish etc. and then map out the restrictions, jets, etc as best you can. There's some old threads on RFS forum about these carbs, and comparing them with their Autolite cousins. It's a decent design and Holley's execution seems to be mostly OK. Its just a lot less common aftermarket carb.

Also just as important, measure and write down the mechanical timing from as low an rpm as you can measure to as high as you feel comfortable. From slow idle to at least 2000 is the imprtant rpms to see what type of curve is in there. With that info, you'll have a baseline and

Last edited:
Not a guru by any stretch, but have you considered moving the electric fuel pump to the back of the car? The electric pumps are made for pushing fuel, not pulling it. Just a suggestion.

It has the 67' 273 valve covers, so someone tried to make it look like a 273. First thing I would do before driving it is, change the thermostat housing. Those chrome ones always leak.
Not a bad thing. 87 is probably a roller cam engine with the famous 302 casting heads. Good chance of it unless it's been messed with. A 318 4 barrel with headers is a swap that many 273 guys strive for.

-
Back